• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making a ubuntu web server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

So I have been wanting to do this for a while, but I really want to host my own website. This is my first time really doing it and I have no idea what I'm doing
I installed apache in ubuntu, but I don't know where to go from here.

So if you are wanting to just serve up a static page then create a html file and place it in /var/www/

Code:
/var/www/index.html

Then if you are on the machine that is also the web server, go to http://127.0.0.1 to test the web page.

There is alot more to do in Apache but that should get you a static page.

Thanks, I got it working yesterday
Now I'm using a temporary free template that should look like this
but my server looks like this
Basically there are no images showing up, where do I put the images

also, how do I get it so I type in my domain to access over the internet and not my ip address

It says the images are not found, it throws a 404 error when trying to access them. Either the permissions are not setup correctly, the files don't exist or you have them in the wrong location.

Regarding the domain, unless you have a static IP address, you will need to get a domain that works with a dynamic IP address as yours could switch at any time. No-IP gives out free ones.

It says the images are not found, it throws a 404 error when trying to access them. Either the permissions are not setup correctly, the files don't exist or you have them in the wrong location.

Regarding the domain, unless you have a static IP address, you will need to get a domain that works with a dynamic IP address as yours could switch at any time. No-IP gives out free ones.

Where do the images go? I have the images but just can't find out where to put them
where do I get a domain that works with dynamic ip addresses

Where do the images go? I have the images but just can't find out where to put them
Did you download a file that contained everything (images, webpage, etc)? If so, you can just dump it all in:

Code:
/var/www/
Images will go in
Code:
/var/www/images/
where do I get a domain that works with dynamic ip addresses
As I said, no-ip gives free dynamic domains...

so I have to call my IP and request a domain
what does go daddy do
Thanks for the help btw
oh, and I understand that the domain will probably cost money

Got the pictures working, your the man thideras

so I have to call my IP and request a domain
No...

A domain is an address that we remember easily. When you go to a website (overclockers.com), all the computer does is look up that domain to find the actual IP address, your actual IP address. If that changes, the domain redirect has to update also. Problem is, it takes 11-24 hours for it to update. Services like No-IP offer subdomains that they can update instantly. SO, if your IP address changes, it is instantly reflected on their side and your redirect (domain) still works.

The domain is free, you would know if you went to the website I suggested. :bang head

Doesn't he have a domain?? It really depends on your ISP as far as dynamic IPs changing. I have comcast, and my IP has only changed when I have changed the NIC connected to the internet on my server, which is not often. So I don't really feel like paying extra for a static address when I basically have one. My server has an up time of 99 days and 22 hours as of now, and I've had the IP I have now even before my last reboot.

Doesn't he have a domain?? It really depends on your ISP as far as dynamic IPs changing. I have comcast, and my IP has only changed when I have changed the NIC connected to the internet on my server, which is not often. So I don't really feel like paying extra for a static address when I basically have one. My server has an up time of 99 days and 22 hours as of now, and I've had the IP I have now even before my last reboot.
From what I can tell, if you power cycle the modem/router/whatevergetstheip, it could get a different IP. Paying extra just means it is reserved for you and will always be that. I'd pay if it wasn't too expensive. Our box has been running for months without needing a bounce, and thus, we have the same IP address. I'm sure if I bounced it when I got home, I'd have a different IP.

No...

A domain is an address that we remember easily. When you go to a website (overclockers.com), all the computer does is look up that domain to find the actual IP address, your actual IP address. If that changes, the domain redirect has to update also. Problem is, it takes 11-24 hours for it to update. Services like No-IP offer subdomains that they can update instantly. SO, if your IP address changes, it is instantly reflected on their side and your redirect (domain) still works.

The domain is free, you would know if you went to the website I suggested. :bang head

I'm in idiot, I thought when you said no-ip I thought you ment no Internet provider, I didn't realize it was a website
I'll check it out

Alright, so I'm on no-ip and trying to register my domain. To activate costs's $32.95 and I don't think there is a free option.
also, what do I put in the nameserver and the nameserver set box's

Alright, so I'm on no-ip and trying to register my domain. To activate costs's $32.95 and I don't think there is a free option.

I would recommend dyndns.com, it has a free option and they have an application that will automatically update your domain name.

I use their updater on my freebsd box and when I get a new DHCP lease from my ISP it updates the domain name with that new IP address within 300 seconds.

Works Great!

There is a free option, I did it myself. You are looking in the wrong location. You will need to use one of their domains, not your own.

Alright, so last night I installed firestarter, hoping to increase the security so on the server. I found out after a restart that it killed my remote desktop connections and my servers "internet" connection (It could access the internet just fine, but when I used another computer to connect to the site, it would just hang).

1. is there a way to get firestarter to allow these 2 connections
2. what is the best ways to increase security. I'm using port forwarding on my router.
3. if i uninstall firestarted, will it leave holes in ubuntu's firewall/ make security even worse than it already was.

this page should help you with opening ports in firestarter:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=483902

i have never used it myself so i don't know how it works. i personally don't run any firewall products on my computers inside my lan. my smoothwall (router) takes care of the firewall for me. everything else is locked down with passwords so i am not too worried about it :)

I do not know what i'm talking about.

what about brute force? the port 80 is open for that isn't it? I don't know how to guard against that. making regular passwords is not my thing for more than one type of account. ( I have different sets. I just don't like making one for something that is regularly exposed like the software that admins your webserver)

Is there something like an option so that you can't try more than 10 failed login attempts? anything that controls those options? future security would be nice if they used encryption on a combo password like pw1 your pw2 computer pw3 is pw4 slow.

For security I'm more concerned with exploits and brute force attacks than anything. this applies almost universally to anything.

I'm really not a security guru or anything but from what I can tell running a webserver on port 80 means that the software is listening on that port, meaning its open (and security depends on the server software). For any other ports, that could be a potential security problem if there were exploits or a brute forcible attack.

I mean have you ever read any of the microsoft patches? this patch contains a blah blah that can allow a site containing a malicious font to remotely execute code on your computer.

btw I can access the site just fine so I don't know why you can't access it on lan side. maybe you didn't port forward it on the lan side.

Last edited:
Back