• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble with voltages?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

]-[itman

Ok here's the thing. I got my new xp1600 running fine and overclocked to 1.61ghz(fsb=153 mult. still locked, not bad) but i want to go farther if i can. The only thing is if i try to raise the voltages window's crashes. Even at default speed a raise over 1.25v causes windows to crash. I think i can push this chip a little farther if i can just get the voltage up a little higher. Anyone have any ideas?

Sounds to me like it is a heat problem......... check your temps, I know my system gets like that if my cpu temp goes above 56'c.... but not all chips are equal..

Slick

Please tell me that 1.25v was a typo/brainfart, as this would place your voltage about 3v :eek:
The reading I've been doing as of late seems to indicate most find no gains in using voltages in excess of about 1.85v with the XPs.

The xps (unlike my t-bird) are not real receptive to high voltages. 2.0v max voltage should suffice. Extreme cooling seems to help these chips quite a bit. Am presently looking into some good pelt cooling myself. I threw (very quickly) 2.3 and 2.35v at my xp and it did not like it. This is with water cooling. If one looks at the future of the chips then one sees cooler chips coming and extreme cooling becomes a very good option to max out processors. Have been in touch with Mr. Leufghken (sp) and I know he is looking for 2.0 GHz on a 156w pelt with the pel-block. He has the xp2000 on order and should be testing soon.

actually it was a typo i mean .125 which raises it only to 1.875v and anything above this makes it crash. My temp under full load is 40C while oc'd and at default is at 35 full load. I don't think it's a temp thing because even at default speeds it still crashes from just a raise of .125

If its not the heat it could be 2 problems...
1. What is the PSU u have and what is ur +5V rail under full load?
2. what is the stepping of ur chip, maybe u just got not the best one... so it won't O/C too far?

Just noticed that you are running the fsb at 153 on crucial. Take the multiplier down a step and make sure that you are stable over 153. If you are not, then move up to a higher multiplier and lower the fsb. Move the fsb up as the system proves stable. I get 155 100% stable at cas 2 on my crucial and it would be my geuss that you are reaching the limits of yours. This would result in instability. I have one of the earlier xps and it does not do all that great either. The newer steppings (pretty much across the board) are doing much better.

My psu is from Antec and is 300W. I've been watching the voltages and none of them drop below their voltages so i don't think that's the problem. I have the AGKGA-Y stepping. It's not so much the oc i'm worrying about right now though. What kinda bothers me is even at default speeds windows won't boot with more than .125V increase. Right now i haven't tried to get more of an oc out of it but i'll try if i can get this cleared up first. I would do multiplier but right now i have $10.10 in my bank account so i don't want to risk destroying the chip since i won't be able to replace it.

If you are presently real financially limited then DON'T play with it. I have only destroyed items when playing with them. There may be two or more issues at work here. One the ram may require more voltage as it may be unstable, two the cpu may require more vcore or you may have other items/software getting in the way.

As for the psu, put it under stress and while it is under stress run something (MBM, Via) to check on the voltages under load. You may find (as I have) that when you are really pushing the 5v line falls to unacceptable levels.

Ya i've been watching the voltages under full stress with MBM5 and the lowest the 5v rail goes is 5v. That's the lowest i've seen it go so far. I'm not quite sure why, maybe the cpu itself just doesn't like any increase of voltage. Oh well i'm happy with this overclock(it really cranks out wu's ;)) I'll just leave it alone since it's rock stable where it is. Hopefully by the time the hammers come out i'll have some money and i can get one of those to play with:D

Whoa, Silver man... Looks like you have an even worse xp1600 than me! hehe... Mine can get to 1700mhz at 2.15v, but compared to some of the new agoga, and agnga steppings that isn't anything. Lots of those can do 1800+mhz.... Jeez, I thought the xp I had was crappy, looks like we both have crappy ones :)

I am currently running [email protected] 1701mhz at 2.15v on air.. Temperature under load is mid 50's... :/

Yeah, just jumped the gun a little on buying it. Thats alright. I am getting ready to purchase another processor. Have to wait two weeks and am looking for steppings. Will probably sell either the 1.4 or the xp1600. Will discount one of them and hopefully sell it to a kid who has an older duron or something of that nature. May get hold of the moderators here for someone deserving and sell for 50 or so. I take it in the shorts but it helps some worthwhile wannabe and takes a little of the hurting off of a new chip. Also may sell the crucial as I want to try some Kingmax pc2700. I hear the new xp2000 will get up there.

LOL now i just feel stupid! I found out the problem to it all! Ok Windows would not start up if i set the voltage above a .1v increase. My temps are below 40 so they're fine, my psu is supplying enough juice so that's fine. I couldn't figure out the problem. Then all of a sudden it occured to me! The system would post fine with a .125v increase just windows wouldn't start. So thanks to my new idea i checked to see, in the bios itself, how much voltage the cpu was getting. Then it all made since. I didn't unlock the stupid Voltage bridges on the chip so it wouldn't accept anything above a .1v increase! LoL i can't believe i forgot this. So really my problem was undervoltage. Windows would try and start with the cpu running on default voltage even though i thought it was running with a .125v increase lol. Anyway i'm going to unlock just the voltage bridges tomorrow because i have a lot of AlgII homework to do tonight. Thanks for the ideas guys i'm sure i'll need them for when i really start to oc this baby ;)

BTW I'm definitely waiting for the hammers for my next chip purchase! I can't wait to see what kind of speeds those things can produce :D

Back