• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel burn test? Opinions please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

noahmichvfs

Registered
Hi, I just finished putting together my newest liquid cooling rig and was able to push my e8400 to 4.2GHz. My question is not about overclocking, but rather stability testing. I have used a multitude of of stress testing utilities (Prime 95, CPU Stress test, etc) , but I just recently discovered a utility called Intel Burn Test. I have heard that this is the utility that intel uses in QC, and that it heats up your cpu like crazy. I use core temp and sometimes speedfan to monitor my cpu temps. The temperatures are similar, but intel burn test definately squeezed out more heat. It only stresses the proc for a couple minutes though. Now to my question: Is the intel utility thurough enough to determine true stability, or should I be using something like prime 95?

IBT is an excellent stability test, it beats prime95 as far as most people are concerned.

Id go with LINX, just like IBT but a bit more refined IMO.

Also, Id have to disagree with Bobnova. While IBT/LINX do test quickly for stability and in alot of peoples eyes proves stability, go with both programs if you want to find GREATER stability.

Ive had systems pass LINX 20 passes max ram only to fail P95 in an hour and vice versa. LINX will stress the CPU more than anything, while P95 will stress your RAM/Chipset/QPI (i7) a bit more.

I did find that for core2duo, LINX was a bit tougher to pass than P95, but on i7, P95 would find errors that LINX wouldnt show.

I used to do many hours of P95 sFFT but not any more.
First thing I would do is to run IBT 10 loops Custom 512MB...if passed ...moved on to 10 loops HIGH....then run P95 sFFT for an hour. If that passed, a final run of IBT at Maximum level and I would call it a day.
Just trying to be "GREEN" here. So much energy wasted and guess whom is going to pay for it. :)

Yeah, I would agree with SSM for the most part.

Except Id run 20 passes w/ about half ram in LINX, and 2-4 hours P95. Call it a day. Doubt youll put it through more hell than that daily :)

IBT/Linx for quick a dirty stability testing but is overkill after that IMHO. P95 Small FFT for CPU focus and then Blend for the system which includes ram (8 hours on P95 is stable if you dont F@H).

Back