• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is 12gb capable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

b3tn01hasd1s

Registered
Hey guys I am almost ready to buy my new i7 and I have got a question.

So I was originally going to get corsair DOMINATOR GT 6GB (3x2GB) 1866MHz 7-8-7-20, with Airflow fan but I got an idea and really wanted to get 12GB. So Should I get two kits or what?

Thanks

Hey guys I am almost ready to buy my new i7 and I have got a question.

So I was originally going to get corsair DOMINATOR GT 6GB (3x2GB) 1866MHz 7-8-7-20, with Airflow fan but I got an idea and really wanted to get 12GB. So Should I get two kits or what?

Thanks

Yeah I'd agree with doz here, 12gb is really overkill in most situations, for the amount of money you'd spend on 12gb vs 6gb, you could invest it somewhere else (better graphics card or as doz suggested an SSD) and get a more noticeable performance increase than you would have seen going from 6gb to 12gb RAM

3rd the 12gb being overkill.

get an ssd, i saw a good performance increase from everyday apps, haven't noticed much from games since i haven't played many as well have them installed on a normal hdd.

hmm thanks i think I might the ocz one and one more questions. When I am overclocking, what voltages and everything do I need to watch like is there some kind of guide I can read to make sure my voltages aren't to high or something like that?

More or less the basic voltages will be the CPU voltage, QPI voltage (almost more important on i7 than the CPU voltage IMO), RAM voltage (although most likely 1.65v). Once you learn those 3, then you can move onto the more technical items. Some boards like a little more IOH voltage as well, but a small bump is all you need.

Back