• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD5850 issue - LOW fps..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

baris_

Hello,

I just started playing Crysis maxed out (8x MSAA as well) and seems to be low fps.. I realise Crysis will be hard so I'll settle for an average of 30 fps on Crysis.

But I was just playing Modern Warfare doing the second mission where you have to rescue that Russian guy, and at the start I noticed fps below 30.. It was roughly 25-26 at most times. This should be impossible on a card like this? My temperatures are below 60C. I game on 1440x900 so this shouldn't even be possible. Also moving sideways is eeeeeextremely jittery..

Fps measured by fraps.

Anyone have an idea? (I get about 50-60 fps at Dirt 2 maxed out..)

Overclock your processor. That res you are playing on is awfully low for a stock processor. I recall you being a bit stuck on your overclock, but I belive that would be part of the problem here.

Overclock your processor. That res you are playing on is awfully low for a stock processor. I recall you being a bit stuck on your overclock, but I belive that would be part of the problem here.

I can't understand that.. Seems so illogical that a lower res will have less fps.. I also had a 4850 a few months back. My fps then was 60+ at all times with the same settings..

Did your settings change from your 4850? Meaning did you pour on the AA with the new card as opposed to not with the 4850? I would say just run 4xAA across games and you should be OK.

The lower the res, the more hte CPU has to do to get the GPU data out. Thats why when you were looking for a card, we mentioned/inquired if you were planning on upgrading to a larger monitor. ;)

Did your settings change from your 4850? Meaning did you pour on the AA with the new card as opposed to not with the 4850? I would say just run 4xAA across games and you should be OK.

The lower the res, the more hte CPU has to do to get the GPU data out. Thats why when you were looking for a card, we mentioned/inquired if you were planning on upgrading to a larger monitor. ;)

I see. I just tested on my 37" HDTV and the fps doubled. I used 1920x1080 and the average fps was 50-60 on Modern Warfare.

I've got several options then.. Getting a new motherboard for about €80 of a good chipset which allows me to overclock a lot or buying a new monitor. For about €160 I can get a 23" 1920x1080 samsung monitor. Hmm. Any advice? 50-60 fps still seems quite low on a game like that..

I used to run maximum settings at the 4850 as well, so that is really really weird. Alright I'll do 4xAA. Though below there is a setting as well: Box, Narrow-tent, Wide-tent, Edge detect. Which one?

Last edited:
(8x MSAA as well)

try 2-4 AA

overclocking your cpu will always help ALOT with MIN frames, but 8XAA in that game is pretty serious business no matter the res.

5850/5870 really only start to shine at 1680x1050 and above also.

I see. I just tested on my 37" HDTV and the fps doubled. I used 1920x1080 and the average fps was 50-60 on Modern Warfare.

I've got several options then.. Getting a new motherboard for about €80 of a good chipset which allows me to overclock a lot or buying a new monitor. For about €160 I can get a 23" 1920x1080 samsung monitor. Hmm. Any advice? 50-60 fps still seems quite low on a game like that..

I used to run maximum settings at the 4850 as well, so that is really really weird. Alright I'll do 4xAA. Though below there is a setting as well: Box, Narrow-tent, Wide-tent, Edge detect. Which one?
Advice? Get a new monitor, then a new mobo.

As far as AA thats a choice/preference there. I would read up on the different types of AA and how its implemented and make a choice that way. I dont have those options as an Nvidia user so I cant help too much, sorry.

At 1680x1050 you'll have to overclock that q9550 up to about 3.4GHz to avoid any bottlenecking. If you don't want a bottleneck with your quad at stock then you'll need a nice 2560x1600 monitor :D

Advice? Get a new monitor, then a new mobo.

As far as AA thats a choice/preference there. I would read up on the different types of AA and how its implemented and make a choice that way. I dont have those options as an Nvidia user so I cant help too much, sorry.

Thank you for your reply. I'll read up on it. I'll probably indeed get a monitor.

At 1680x1050 you'll have to overclock that q9550 up to about 3.4GHz to avoid any bottlenecking. If you don't want a bottleneck with your quad at stock then you'll need a nice 2560x1600 monitor :D

Thank you for your reply. What about 1920x1080 (16:9) and 1920x1200 (16:10)? Would those require overclocking? If so, how much do you reckon? I want to solve this "problem" as cheap as possible. So it's either a new motherboard so I can overclock, or a new monitor. Monitor will be more expensive, but that also brings better gaming experience.

Last edited:
With 1920x1200 resolution I would say about 3.0-3.2GHz. This is for games like Crysis though. GTA IV will eat your GPU for a starter and will really eat up your CPU. It's the same with Valve games. You'll have to go up to about 3.4 for 1920x1200 resolution for GTA IV and valve games to ensure almost no bottleneck but for Crysis 3.2 should be alright.

With 1920x1200 resolution I would say about 3.0-3.2GHz. This is for games like Crysis though. GTA IV will eat your GPU for a starter and will really eat up your CPU. It's the same with Valve games. You'll have to go up to about 3.4 for 1920x1200 resolution for GTA IV and valve games to ensure almost no bottleneck but for Crysis 3.2 should be alright.

Thank you for your reply. I see, well then buying a motherboard that'll allow me to overclock to about 3.8-4.0GHz will fix all problems? P45 chipset can do about that, right?

Well I'm going to try and speculate, see the options I have and what I can do with the money I have. As I said before, I can't really spend a lot since I've spent over €1000,- last month. Apart from a lot of new components I also laminated my room, repainted it, bought new furniture etc. so I'm not rich anymore ^^

I'll post back with the options that are available to me and then I hope some of you can tell me what to go for best.

Regards!

EP45 UD3P is your answer, the only quad clocking 775 to own really and get another 2gb of mem or a proper 2x2gb kit and w7 64.

You can overclock with the ASUS P5QL-CM according to peoples on the interwebz.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263753
Get your teeth into that and you should be away :)

Can't get past 340 fsb.. I've posted several threads and people have tried to help me but it's impossible.

Sounds like a waste of money unless he's going for a serious overclock though.

All I want is to get past this bottleneck. One way or another.

You might as well save it for the next upgrade or something outside of computing. Also I don't think he wants to push it to the limits, 3.2-3.4 is a nice overclock and not to demanding.

no way is it a waste of money, for someone like him wanting to break into learning OC and feed that 5850 its a wet dream and the only board to own for his set up, cost wise and performance it cant be beat. Plus he can sell his old mobo and get some of that back. This is OCFORUMS and thats the answer to his question.

Your probably gonna need some better clocking ram though.

I've found a good 1920x1080 monitor and I'd like to go for it. It's the Samsung 2333SW 23” 1920x1080 (16:9) 5ms. Do you reckon most of the bottleneck will be solved buying this? What about buying this monitor AND buying a new motherboard like the EP45 UD3LR. Those 2 together should do well. This will bring me to a total of €250. But I've found buyers. Someone wants to buy my monitor for €80 and my motherboard for €40. It will only set me back about €130.

Any input will be appreciated.

Back