• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fine tuning my i7..yielding good results

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kkpudge7

I've finally had a few days in a row with some free time to sit down and fine tune my clocks. I was able to hit 4Ghz pretty easily, but it was just a dummy clock, basically left everything on auto and put the cpu vtt at 1.3v. Since I have been getting involved in the folding scene I wanted to get the highest clock possible with the lowest temps possible (also was victim to a few lockups while running rosetta, so I knew my oc was not 100% stable).

Here is where I'm at so far, 3.7Ghz is just a stepping stone. But I have gotten here with minimal voltages with HT still enabled. Its 15 minutes stable at a mere 1.21v (bios)... Im excited to see how much vtt I need to get up to 4Ghz :)

Thanks to Mia for the OC guide again! His 3 steps are what I have been doing to a T.

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj224/kkpudge/Capture-14.jpg

Looks good so far! How high do you want to run voltage wise while folding/crunching 24/7?

I'd like to get it stable at 4.3Ghz. Whether or not I'll be able to fold at that speed we'll see. I don't to let it sit at a constant 75c. I dont mind those temps for a one night test on prime, but its probably a little bit too warm to let it fold like that. I would settle for 4Ghz folding and 4.3Ghz daily stable.

I don't think it is really worth the energy/heat/stress etc. to "crunch" at 4.3Ghz.

I'd like to see how your chip scales to 4.0GHz and I'm curious about how much bump to vcore is required for the additional 300MHz.

how the hell are you guys getting them stable enough to fold at 4.0-4.2
I need my msi board to have extra settings. All I can adjust is vcore, qpi, nb, ich...no drop, no vtt... no nothing.

I need my msi board to have extra settings. All I can adjust is vcore, qpi, nb, ich...no drop, no vtt... no nothing.

maybe that's why?
vtt was very important in my OC, to get it to run stable.

My UD5 has a host of different adjustable settings. Right now I'm only adjusting my vcore, because per Miahallen's guide I started out the OC by stabilizing the bclk and memory multi first.

I've found load line calibration to be significant in my oc, along with DRAM voltage (for some reason my 1.65v OCz platinum like to run at 1.62v)

VTT = QPI Voltage. Default is 1.12V, w/ most enthusiast boards defaulting to 1.21V. And as you're probably aware, there's no way to read the VTT on that board using software.

Back