• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

linux laptop.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methal

I just started my own company. We are a Linux computer company with windows on the side.

I need a laptop that runs linux like a dream. Specifically for use in trouble shooting/repairing other computer systems.

I've been using an Asus n61j. i7 laptop. The biggest issues i've had are 1. that ATI blows at anything not micro$oft. And the function keys don't work. (i'd like to be able to turn the touch pad on and off.)

anyone have any good recommendations?

are you looking for a distro that will work with your current distro or a new, more linux friendly laptop?

The best laptop ive ever had for Linux was the DellXPS 1530, it was awesome and ran every distro without any issue.

My Inspiron 9400 kicked serious butt with every linux i ever threw at it. Too bad it gave up the ghost in November and I am still waiting for my waranty replacement from dell

Dell has the best Linux support. Try www.dell.com/ubuntu, and the hardware there is all fully supported in Linux. The graphics are intel or nvidia, wireless has linux drivers, etc.

I got a dell mini 9 with ubuntu. It runs ubuntu fine, and I had no trouble installing other distros.

Irritatingly, my ssd died and dell was not very helpful, so I'm a little miffed at them right now. Horrible customer service... they hung up on me (and no I wasn't being rude, I was being very polite). Anyways, CS blows, but the hardware is Linux compatible.

In general, it tends to boil down to this:

Intel-based laptops that have centrino tend to have the best chance of running Linux with few/no issues. Centrino generally (though not always!) will have Intel-based ethernet, and wireless, which ought to run with no issues...Unless it's bleeding edge hardware, where you might still have issues getting things running.

Intel, or NVidia for video. ATI might, or might not work regardless of how much you want to futz with it.

IBM/Lenovo, at least during the classic Thinkpads up until the x/r/t61 series, have very good support for Linux. I actually have my 2 x-series, (x23, x61) and 1 t-series (t60) working decently under Linux. The T60 was something of a bear to work with, mostly because of the ATI video. I couldn't speak as to whether the newer Lenovo thinkpads would work as well or not.

My experience is also consistent with the Intel view presented above. I know that some of the Dell Linux laptops substituted some other wireless for Intel. Intel has excellent Linux support across the entire product line, including chipsets, wireless, graphics, etc.

nVidia is also excellent, the only choice if you want high performance video. AMD is fine too (on the cpu/chipset end), but ATI is not.

One thing is watch the Audio drivers. I use a laptop now, and the audio is Realtek ALC889 and I tried on Ubuntu 8, and it took me hours to get it working right.

Laptop manufacturers, especially the biggies, have a very annoying tendency to switch components all the time based on what they can get cheapest at the moment... you are told you have wireless g and a 100 gb hard drive, but you have no way of knowing what manufacturer. Best bet is to buy a laptop that comes with Linux, because that will ensure that the hardware is Linux compatible. I reformatted my hard drive immediately and added a new distro instead of the default (I don't like the lpia Ubuntu because the repositories are too limited and not updated often). However, just the fact that it came with Linux ensured that whatever hardware substitutions Dell made, they would still work with Linux.

Laptop manufacturers, especially the biggies, have a very annoying tendency to switch components all the time based on what they can get cheapest at the moment... you are told you have wireless g and a 100 gb hard drive, but you have no way of knowing what manufacturer. Best bet is to buy a laptop that comes with Linux, because that will ensure that the hardware is Linux compatible. I reformatted my hard drive immediately and added a new distro instead of the default (I don't like the lpia Ubuntu because the repositories are too limited and not updated often). However, just the fact that it came with Linux ensured that whatever hardware substitutions Dell made, they would still work with Linux.

This I have come to find out is VERY much the case. I've been sticking with things I know already work in Linux. The laptop I am currently using (asus n61j i7) Works remarkably well in Linux despite having had ATI open it up and take a crap in it and call it a video card. They seem to like to pretend that Linux doesn't exist. This is the first thing i've bought (and last) since the 754 socket 3400+ was brand new. Until they start supporting Linux at least as well as Intel I won't be buying anything with AMD/ATI. Nvidia blows them away.

Anyway, Intel, Nvidia, Aethros, all seem to know how to please the Linux crowed.

I'll be looking into Dell. If they have something worth using that will run linux, i'll defiantly be getting it.

I would caution against Dell or at very least KNOW what you are getting yourself into.

I have had personal struggles with them trying to get them to honor their waranty on more then a half a dozen times. Different computers between myself and my fiance, their tech support and customer service have made me decide never to buy Dell again and to also warn all those I come into contact with.

While I realize that experiences may differ, note that I have dealings with them both professionally and personally and neither have been pleasant. To the point that my boss is strongly considering DIY computers over Dell

They do everything they can to dissuade you from services you have paid for, they often try to get out of doing anything for one lame reason or another, they are full of incompentence accross the board. If you dont continually deal with the same reps you will have to waste 20mins- an hr each call just to get the new person up to speed because they dont have "access" etc.

All that said, they have linux compatible hardware but as for expecting anything outside of that you are on your own

I would caution against Dell or at very least KNOW what you are getting yourself into.

I have had personal struggles with them trying to get them to honor their waranty on more then a half a dozen times. Different computers between myself and my fiance, their tech support and customer service have made me decide never to buy Dell again and to also warn all those I come into contact with.

While I realize that experiences may differ, note that I have dealings with them both professionally and personally and neither have been pleasant. To the point that my boss is strongly considering DIY computers over Dell

They do everything they can to dissuade you from services you have paid for, they often try to get out of doing anything for one lame reason or another, they are full of incompentence accross the board. If you dont continually deal with the same reps you will have to waste 20mins- an hr each call just to get the new person up to speed because they dont have "access" etc.

All that said, they have linux compatible hardware but as for expecting anything outside of that you are on your own

The couple of times I had to use Dell support, everything went fairly smoothly. It's frustrating talking to people who don't natively speak English, and jumping through their troubleshooting hoops is irritating, but otherwise, my outcome has always been positive. It's been a few years since I called them though. Maybe it's different now.

My suggestion is to consider Dell as not having any warranty or tech support. If it breaks, fix it yourself or throw it out and get a new one. That is, after all, the model that these companies go by... they want you to buy a new computer every few years anyways. Selling a warranty they won't honor or that covers nothing is a nice way to increase margins.

Dell's ProSupport is great. From my experience it usually takes up to 20 minutes to diagnose a hardware problem and get the part dispatched. Shipping takes 1 to 2 days even if you need an on-site tech. Of course this is with business class machines (Optiplex, Latitude) with 3 to 5 year warranties, and it is probably different for consumer laptops.

Yeah, generally the corporations will pay a lot and expect premium support. It's the consumer that gets shafted. Too bad you can't really build your own laptop like you can your own PC.

Dell's ProSupport is great. From my experience it usually takes up to 20 minutes to diagnose a hardware problem and get the part dispatched. Shipping takes 1 to 2 days even if you need an on-site tech. Of course this is with business class machines (Optiplex, Latitude) with 3 to 5 year warranties, and it is probably different for consumer laptops.

My experience (which has been rather extensive) is quite different. For work I deal with dell tech support with regards to PowerEdge (and other) servers. The nice thing is you can actually understand the people at the tech support as they all have perfect english. The down side is that they still make you jump through stupid crazy hoops before getting any action and the minimum call time is at least an hr if not more.

I suppose everyone's experience is different and it can vary depending upon the people on the other end of the phone. I know we have extra waranty but whether or not its the prosupport I dont know

with dell, they used to (not sure if they still do) allow people to become "dell certified" and then all i had to do for warranty stuff was give them a call and tell them the service tag and the part i required and they would overnight it to me. saved me loads of time.

Back