• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pcie 16x 1.0 - 2.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eclectic

Im sorry for a question that people are probably very aware of, but I just bought a 5870 and my current board (P5K PREMIUM) is PCI-e 16x 1.0. This new card supports 2.1. So the question is, will I see a warranted performance increase by buying a new board that supports 2.0?

Whilst a slightly offtopic question, would I also see a decent increase going for a Q9650 over my e8400 which is currently at 3.8. This is all in lue of bad company 2, which the BETA has shown and Im sure final product will show is quite dependant on CPU.

Many thanks.

It should be PCIe1.1 vs. PCIe2.0, but your question is still understood.

PCIe1.1 x16 is equivalent to PCIe2.0 x8, and tests have shown that modern cards in PCIe2.0 x8 slots have not suffered much if any performance loss. I think you'll be fine on the P5K-Premium.

As far as dual vs. quad...if that game makes good use of quads (only a handful do) then you will see a difference. And you should be able to get 4GHz+ out of a Q9650 on that board.

Back