• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

T32 EOC WIR 2Aug19: If you can't fix it, duck it.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

don256us

Uber Folding Senior
First: I place questions in the newsletter to encourage participation. Please feel free to post a reply to anything you see below. EVERY WEEK! Don’t make me have to show up at your front door and give you a stern look. Like an endless one. I’ll stand there for hours looking at you sternly even if you close the door. You’ll know that I’m still there. Staring… Sternly.

This week I have a minor pop culture question hidden within. Make a guess. Have fun with it.

I had an interesting learning experience this last week. I switched from an Intel i7-3960 to a Threadripper 1900x. CPU, MB and RAM was all that I changed. I’m still using the same video cards. (1080 and 1080Ti). I was running the CPU and GPUs at 100% and was earning about 1.8 to 1.9 million. Later in the week, I checked the temps on my CPU and found that they were high. I have a solution for that coming but in the meantime, I shut down my CPU folding. My ppd jumped up to about 2.0 to 2.1 million. It could be a jump in the RAM speed or the bump in PCIe lanes but other than that, I can’t imagine what the difference would be. Other than a power glitch at home at the same time the stats server went down, my ppd is up. What are your thoughts?

The biggest part of our decline is that we lost 4 active folders this week. That is nearly 10% of our team, which is a heavy loss. Whomever you are, we miss you. Come back when you can. For the rest of us, we share in a larger portion of the glory. We are still the #4 team in the world but we are doing it with fewer people. Stay strong brothers. We will win this battle and the next one and the next and so forth. Why? Because we can. What can we do to keep our standing in the world rankings?

Team Conquest/Threat List
[oldtable] None. |We have conquered |them all.
www.banano.cc | 6.5 months | down from 7.1 months.|
PC Games Hardware |19.5 years | down from infinity. | [/table]
For a good chunk of the week, we only had one team making their move against us. Hardware.no dropped out again but at the last minute, PC Games Hardware has shown up. While they do have a small bump in production, we have a rather large dip in ours thus they are gaining.

Active folders and ranking:
[oldtable]|Active Folders|Ranking|Ave PPD
This week |49 |27th |1.15 million.
Last week |53 |26th | 1.17 million.
3 weeks ago | 54 | 26th | 1.23 million.
4 weeks ago | 56 |26th | 1.17 million.
5 weeks ago | 56 | 26th | 1.10 million.
6 weeks ago |56 | 27th | 1.23 million.
7 weeks ago | 57 |29th | 1.31 million.
8 weeks ago | 56 | 27th | 1.33 million.
9 weeks ago | 54 | 31st | 1.39 million. [/table]
We lost four active folders, dropped one spot in the number of active folders to 27th place and dropped 20k in ppd. These are not unsurmountable numbers by any means. The heat of summer will be passing and some of our members will return and/or increase production. This is the way of things. The circle of life. Let’s just make sure that as the coolness of fall returns, that we increase production.

Top 20 PPD:
[oldtable]1| HayesK | 12.55 million
2| WhitehawkEQ | 9.51 million
3| Macaholic | 8.25 million
4| JrClocker | 3.95 million
5| torin3 | 2.85 million
6| orion456 | 2.94 million
7| don256us | 2.09 million
8| aviationfrk | 1.95 million
9| TC | 1.92 million
10| belorsch | 1.80 million
11| squads | 1.27 million
12| JLK03F150 |
13| DarkWarrior |
14| P4EE |
15| Lochekey |
16| wjruth |
17| harlam357 |
18| gabi golan
19| hitman
20| Maviryk [/table]
Numbers here are generally down but overall, I’m happy with what I see. Congrats to earning your way into the top 20.

Individual Milestones:
(Note: The word “earned” acknowledges the hard work done to earn these points at all levels of production.)

[oldtable] HayesK will earn | 8 billion in 5.6 days. |
WhitehawkEQ will earn | 7 billion in just over 3 days. |
aviationfrk will earn | 600 million in 2.8 days. |
squads will earn | 300 million in 3.7 days. |
Carthago will earn | 60 million in 5.6 days.|
JH just earned | 20 million. |
794613 just earned | 7 million. |[/table]

Team Top 100 or (Page 1):

Moving up four spots each:
squads – Nice bump there buddy.

Moving up two spots each:
DarkWarrior

Moving up one spot each:
Lochekey
belorsch
audioaficionado (I’m still not sure I spelled it right. Sorry.)
ZL1

World Top 100:
Moving up in these ranks is difficult. Great job guys.

[oldtable] Macaholic |#16|
HayesK |#29|
HayesK |#41|Moving up 1 spot.|
WhitehawkEQ |#52| |
P4EE |#63|
RoXQi3x |#65|
RamonetB |#66|
orion456 |#88| Moving up one spot. | [/table]
These guys are really fighting in the top tier….. globally. This isn’t some back yard rumble. This is the real deal. Slack off and you will get passed. When I placed the header for this section as “difficult”, that is just a simple way to say it. To actually compete here, is saying something. I endeavor to do so myself some day before too long. Right now, I’m #366 in the world which is further away from the action than you might think.

New test section. No criteria other than I see something that I want to highlight. No guarantee that there will be an MVP every week. I may skip this section for no other reason than I feel too busy to do it. Maybe you all slacked off too much. Maybe. :chair: MVP could be chosen for any reason that is yet to be seen. We’ll see how you all receive it.
MVP of the week!
squads.

squads jumped up four spots on the team roaster to #54. squads has been with us since the first of this year and has been a steady earner. Great to have you on board and good job on the steady progress.

Congratulations to everyone on their hard work and earned goals.

If you’re not having fun, you’re doing it wrong.
Build, Borg, Recruit. :borg: :comp:
It’s not how much you fold but if you fold.

Please provide another cliché here.
Until next week… keep your stick on the ice. (Guess what show I’ve been watching lately.)

When you fold with a GPU, you need to reserve 1 CORE per GPU you are folding with. The folding application is constantly sending data to/from the video card. So, it makes sense that your PPD went up when you dropped your CPU folding.

I stopped CPU folding a while ago...the extra 30K PPD wasn't worth the extra 150 W of power draw on my PCs. Also, when you have a GPU that puts out 2 million PPD, 30K PPD represents ±1.5%. You can get better PPD gains by dialing in an overclock on your GPU.

Oh - make a trip to Florida and stop by my house. I won't leave you outside in the heat to stare at my door sternly, I'll invite you inside to stare at me sternly over a margarita!

I'm on vacation, so I won't be back for another week to reboot my systems.

I'm on vacation, so I won't be back for another week to reboot my systems.

I'll go reboot your PC's, just PM me your address and I'll be right there.
huuum user name WhitehawkEQ, pass key is ##########################
:rofl::chair:

I have had interesting results with CPU + GPU folding and it behaves differently between Nvidia and AMD cards.

On my Nvidia system, if I run CPU folding, even reserving cores for the GPUs, it caused a drop in PPD for the cards of about 5-10%. I understand Nvidia loops constantly on one core for each GPU, checking if the card needs to be fed new work. So it appears an otherwise idle CPU helps Nvidia cards run a notch faster.

For my Vega, I have actually found the opposite. Running CPU + GPU increased the Vega PPD by about 10%. AMD cards use interrupts as a queue for new work instead of looping, so having the CPU running full speed helps, at least in my case.

I can't say these observations would hold up in other system setups, but the point is CPU folding can have a significant effect on the GPU output.

Individual Milestones:
(Note: The word “earned” acknowledges the hard work done to earn these points at all levels of production.)

WhitehawkEQ will earn | 7 billion in just over 3 days. | Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

:):thup:

My terrible guess at your pop culture question is Mighty Ducks. :chair:

Great guess! Unfortuntely wrong.

Hint: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Individual Milestones:

WhitehawkEQ will earn | 7 billion in just over 3 days. | Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding

:):thup:
Congratulations! WOOT!

Great guess! Unfortuntely wrong.

Hint: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Congratulations! WOOT!

red green, because of the hint. Was the reference, "why, becasue we can"

...now I feel nice and dumb...I just saw the thread title XD

Last edited:
red green, because of the hint. Was the reference, "why, becasue we can"

...now I feel nice and dumb...I just saw the thread title XD

You are correct. The main hint was the "Keep your stick on the ice." which is what he says when he closes a certain segment of the show. FTW! WOOT! The title was added as a helper.

Last edited:
Hey, I'm back in the Top 20! I guess that's what a GPU will do for you (uh, me). :attn:

Back