• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

If i add to low end cards will i have same performance as one high end card.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkd25

Registered
If i get a trple sli board and added 2 low end cards will they combine, and if so will it work using one monitor or 60inch tv as your monitor. I am a little confuzed about crossfire x and sli. I was thinking why not add 2 low end cards and get the same performance as one high end card but i heard it dosent do any difference (if you don't have 2 monitors) its best off buying a high end card is he telling the truth please reply thanks in advance.

Yes for the most part (there may be some instances where this is not true but it's the minority) a single card in the same price range will outperform the 2 lower end cards, not to mention x-fire and sli are not perfect and can come with there own issues all together. going with 2 lowend cards also leaves you at a dead end, if you get the single card it gives you the option later for a second if needed.

Yes for the most part (there may be some instances where this is not true but it's the minority) a single card in the same price range will outperform the 2 lower end cards, not to mention x-fire and sli are not perfect and can come with there own issues all together. going with 2 lowend cards also leaves you at a dead end, if you get the single card it gives you the option later for a second if needed.

I dunno, show me a single $200 card that can outperform a pair of $100 GTS 250 in SLI.

But well 2 gts 250 combine into one, and well it be worth it on my 60inch tv.

Need way more information here.. What model TV, is this a brand new build or do you already have some parts? Which? How much do you have to spend?

Need way more information here.. What model TV, is this a brand new build or do you already have some parts? Which? How much do you have to spend?

It's a brand new build; My TV is a plasma Panasonic viera. so far for my build i am thinking off not 100% sure.

coolermaster 932
i7 930
p6x58 premium M.B.
6gb ddr3 1600 ocz.
1tb drive cavier black.

My question was if i buy to high end or low end cards well it work on one monitor(my 60inch tv), and does the 2 cards combine or are they seperated. Thanks for the help.

It's a brand new build; My TV is a plasma Panasonic viera. so far for my build i am thinking off not 100% sure.

coolermaster 932
i7 930
p6x58 premium M.B.
6gb ddr3 1600 ocz.
1tb drive cavier black.

My question was if i buy to high end or low end cards well it work on one monitor(my 60inch tv), and does the 2 cards combine or are they seperated. Thanks for the help.

Either will work well on one monitor. Is the TV 1920x1080? Will you be gaming?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-gts250-sli.html

Here is xbit review , putting gts 250 sli slightly ahead in some games and behind in some others vs 4850x2.Review is dated 04/03/2009, i recall crossfire drivers getting much better since , i highly doubt 250gts sli comes anywhere close to 4870x2 ...

That said OP , one card is the best solution , there are times when it is more economical to use dual cards , but if your situation allows for a single card it is best .

Nope. GTS SLI beats GTX 285 even. Spanks a 4850X2 too, if you can find one at $200. Beats a 4870X2 even, in some games.

Even if you take everything into account? Games that don't suppor SLI? And all the SLI issues? More heat, so less overclock, more power consumption so pay more for PSU etc.etc. Single card is so much more beneficial..

HWBot disagrees. Care to give sources?

Isn't hwbot just for synthetics?

Anyway, http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-gts250-sli.html
http://www.guruht.com/2010/01/geforce-gts-250-sli-vs-gtx-285-vs.html
http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3523&p=1

And more I'm sure. The 250 isn't a great card on its own, but in SLI, it becomes quite powerful when compared to a 4850X2 or 4890. Of course it doesn't win every game, for example Age of Conan really makes ATI look good, but who plays that anyway?

:beer:

Either will work well on one monitor. Is the TV 1920x1080? Will you be gaming?

The tv is full hd 1080p; I will be using it mainly for watching blueray movies, but i might get into gaming on pc.

None of those links have a 4890 ratbuddy, try again please.

Yes hwbot uses "synthetic" benchmarks, hence my statement "in benchmarks".

None of those links have a 4890 ratbuddy, try again please.

Yes hwbot uses "synthetic" benchmarks, hence my statement "in benchmarks".

Are you really saying 4890 is faster than a 4850X2??? They're roughly the same, at least when the 4890 is OC'd.

Also.. Games can be benchmarked too, and I think this guy just wants to game.

edit: Heck, I don't think you really believe it's even faster than GTS 250 SLI, seems like you just want to argue. Done here. GTS 250 SLI definitely spanks the 4890 at $200.

Last edited:
The tv is full hd 1080p; I will be using it mainly for watching blueray movies, but i might get into gaming on pc.

I would just go 1 card, SLI and/or high end cards are not needed for blu-ray playback.

Only $100 gts250 is a seriously underclocked mini-height thing, it's not going to run at nearly full gts250 steam (normal seems to be 675-760mhz core, 1800-2200 memory, the $100 card runs at 600/1500).
So if two full gts250s can barely do it, two downclocked 250s aren't going to cut it.

Anything non gaming that you do on your desktop will not utilize SLI anyways. SLI and Xfire is limited to pretty much gaming. I run two GTX 260s and I regularly check out my two gadgets that show my GPU load and only when I am playing games does it move, otherwise it just utilizes my first card.

Now that isn't to say that programmers may not change that in the near future, but for now, if your building a new build, go for one better card, then you can add a second one with the prices come down.

In my case, I bought my GTX 260 when prices were 160 for a new card, and then prices went up to 200 dollars lol. If you were trying to reuse an older card, I would say go ahead and go sli or resell the old card, but with you thats not the case. Go with a single card, you won't really regret it.

Back