• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fahcore_a3 and bonus points

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrfrankmrfrank

So please don't hate on me if this is a noob question, but I need some help. For starters, I'm talking about the a3 core in general and not the -bigadv units. I didn't know that apparently all a3 cores get bonus points and just was told this yesterday.

So I had set up a dual core smp client for my girlfriend about a week ago and she has had nothing but a3's for the entire week. I used fahmon and saw that it was getting about 500 ppd. I knew that was a little low for a dual core but I was too lazy to troubleshoot. So when I found out that a3's get bonus points I thought, hmm, maybe I should check out the client with hfm and see if the ppd is higher with the bonus points calculated in.

So I checked it out with hfm and sure enough, it was showing the machine as 2000ppd. The problem was, she's only been getting about 400-500 ppd on her stats. She hasn't been getting any bonus points in the stats. I figured this could be because she didn't have a passkey. Is this a possibility?

I set her up with a passkey last night and reconfigured the client last night. She finished a work unit today but didn't get any bonus points.

this is what I was thinking / hoping. I feel like I've wasted an entire week of potential points haha.

when I read his answer (apparently a bit too quickly) my mind just assumed he meant you had to fold 10 a/3s before you start getting the bonus points. This is probably the most likely of answers.. but I could be wrong.

10 A2 will also do the job, so you might want to try running 10 a2 work units with the passkey, this will net you more points.

I wasn't aware you could choose what types of work units you want. This is not my intention. I was just curious about what qualifies you for the bonus points. She has been getting nothing but a3's and will be getting the bonus points by the end of the week. Thanks for the info guys.

P.s. I'm all about the science. haha

You'd have to set up a VM and run Linux in it to get A2 WUs and I doubt you want to go to that trouble to get 10 Wus in. I'd guess it'll take you about 9 days to qualify for the bonus with Win SMP.

my girl's smp client is working on her sixth with a passkey. She should start receiving bonus points in the next couple of days.

Just how many "Bonus" points are we talking about here? I know I've Folded more than 10 A3s with a passkey and I'm not sure if I'm getting the Bonus points or not. My i7 is showing around 10,000 ~ 13,000 PPD on HFM and that's about what I'm getting according to the stats.

You're not running -bigadv WUs if you're getting only 13,000 ppd, but that is more than you'd make on non bonus WUs.

Back