• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Put some speed on it, still SLLOOOOWW!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

OK. after a long hiatus from me caring about gaming performance, I have returned to see if you guys can come up with a solution to my issue.

Really bad performance on any 3d game. WoW only gets mid 20FPS in raid with settings low-mid level, NFS-Shift is nearly unplayable with even low settings, and so on with all games.
My system Specs are not bad either;
Phenom X4 9500@ 2.64
8gigs DDR2 mem
4870 1gig vidcard (have a second one that used to be x-fire, but no change but in the room temp :) )

CPUzCPU.jpg

CPUzMB.jpg

CPUzMEM.jpg

Temps are not bad either. This is idle
Nonload.jpg

and this is ~30 (temps stable after 15 min but just wanted to make sure) of full load burn in
FullLoad.jpg

I am at a loss. Please tell me how this can be resolved.

The lower the GFX settings the more of a bottle neck the CPU is going to be...

If a game is CPU bottlenecked to begin with that is just going to make it harder. higher res and AA, might help. Might be best served will selling that on ebay and grabbing an Athlon II or PHenom II processor.. I ran my AMD 920 at 3.1GHz for NFS shift and had no issues...

I have tested my games at max settings, mid settings, low settings, a mixture of high res and low settings, low res high settings. Hell, I even did a clean install of Vista Ultimate 64 just to make sure it was not bloat software.

Going from stock speeds(2.2) to current (2.6) made no difference.
There shouldn't be a game on the market that can't play at at least mid settings/high res @30+fps. But, as it sits, I can't play a 5 year old MMO and expect that kind of performance.

Do I have faulty hardware? I have even installed Sisoft Sandra to run benchmarks. Alone all of my hardware seems to be at or above where it should be.

I am now, as I type this, running laps in NFS-Shift. I am changing settings, restarting the game, the rerunning the same course over again to see how the settings are affecting the FPS.

any setting combos I should try?

wow needs more clock speed for FPS, its like CSS. it doesnt really care what videocard you have as long as you have a fast CPU. Why do you need 8gigs of ram, low cas latency at that... that is killing your cpu performance a bit since it has a IMC.

if you want GOOD or well better FPS in WOW get to around 3.2ghz. i always had issues with 64bit os from MS... maybe switch to 32bit and drop the ram down to 4gigs if you can.

It's not that two sticks will give better performance, it's that the CPU should OC further when it only has to deal with two sticks.

Woods, there is something wrong with your PC, I was able to run WoW pretty well with a A64 at 2.2 ghz and 7800GT, and 1 gig DDR ram. But that was on XP. I can't see a reason why your hardware would falter on WoW.

Woods, there is something wrong with your PC, I was able to run WoW pretty well with a A64 at 2.2 ghz and 7800GT, and 1 gig DDR ram. But that was on XP. I can't see a reason why your hardware would falter on WoW.

yea thats what i was tring to get to... i ran wow 50+ fps on a Intel C2D(mobile)@1.86ghz with a 8400GS at 1440x900 with everything maxed. i only tried it out i just didnt like WOW...

That is kinda what I was thinking. I just can't pinpoint what is wrong. All components test fine when tested solo. :mad:

it's the 64bit windows. WOW doesn't play well with it. Most games also have issues with it unless specifically written for 64bit.

Since you don't have to have a serial key for a 1 month demo of Vista/7 before it locks you out, try installing the 32bit version of Vista for your system and run the tests again and see if you have the same issues or not.

I will try this. TY for the suggestion. If it does work, I need to find a good Ramdisk setup so i can use the extra mem.

Well, I installed Windows 7 32. Fixed my fps issue. I now sit in dal with all settings maxed @~50fps. up from 14.

Such a big difference, it is like having a new PC.

Back