• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems with new computer crashing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mzhang9

So I just put together my first computer, and I noticed that when I play graphically intensive games for a while (~ an hour or so) my computer will crash.

Here are my parts (everything running at stock settings):
CPU: Intel i7-860
Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon 4890
Ram: Crucial Ballistix DDR3 2x2gb 1600 8-8-8-24
PSU: OCZ ModXstream-Pro 650w

I ran memtest86+ for almost 24 hours and didn't get any errors, I checked my cpu temp (doesn't get above 60) and my gpu temp (doesn't get above 70).

I also checked my 12V line and it's pretty steady at 11.61V (sometimes it dips to 11.59 during gaming).

I ran prime95 and noticed that after it runs for a while I'll get an error in one of the threads and that thread will turn off.

Any idea on how to diagnose my problem?

To me the cpu temp seems rather high. It might be a faulty power supply.

Sometimes when running memtest no errors will show up, but the ram might still be faulty. I have seen a few cases of this where there will be random reboots, and memtest ran fine, but once we swapped out the memory it fixed the problem.

Since your system is obviously unstable in that Prime fails, try bumping the Vcore up a notch or two. And if you're receiving a BSOD, either post the exact STOP error, or check the Event Viewer logs for critical errors related to the times of the BSODs / lockups, etc. You might also want to post pic's w/ CPU-Z open to the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs. Also make note of the difference in Vcore at idle, and while running Prime, while viewing the Core Voltage field in CPU-Z.

I also checked my 12V line and it's pretty steady at 11.61V (sometimes it dips to 11.59 during gaming).

Did you check with a multi-meter? Software voltage readings can be very unreliable, the only way to know for sure is to check with a meter.

To me the cpu temp seems rather high.

60c isn't all that hot for an intel, they can run much hotter than AMD.

Since your system is obviously unstable in that Prime fails, try bumping the Vcore up a notch or two. And if you're receiving a BSOD, either post the exact STOP error, or check the Event Viewer logs for critical errors related to the times of the BSODs / lockups, etc. You might also want to post pic's w/ CPU-Z open to the CPU, Memory, and SPD tabs. Also make note of the difference in Vcore at idle, and while running Prime, while viewing the Core Voltage field in CPU-Z.

Here are the pics from CPU-Z. I also upped the Vcore and I ran Prime95, and I got errors on 3 out of the 4 cores very quickly. (rounding errors). There was no noticeable drop in Vcore when I started Prime95.

Attachments

• cpu.png
    cpu.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 79
  • memory.png
    memory.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 81
  • spd.png
    spd.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 83
Back