• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Do All INTEL Intergrated Graphics Use The Same Driver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I would like to ask because lately I've come across a few laptops that have needed to be formatted or re-installed from a seperate partition. I have a ext 40GB with all my software and drivers on and I store the ATi cat drivers as well even thou I dont have a ATi card.

Just wanted to know do most of the graphics chips from INTEL mainly use the same driver? it would save me downloading them all the time if I can store it or some.

Yes and no most drivers support multiple chipsets but there is no one driver for them all

Intel graphics drivers are a pain. You really want to use the latest driver available for the chipset, but they also pretty regularly drop support for older chipsets. So the way it basically works out is, you need one set for each generation, like one for G4x, one for G3x, one for 965, one for 945, and so on.

Now, it is possible to a certain extent to get newer drivers onto older chipsets using the IEGD toolkit (as well as adding widescreen resolutions and such), but I'm not going to get into the workings of that.

Intel graphics drivers are a pain. You really want to use the latest driver available for the chipset, but they also pretty regularly drop support for older chipsets. So the way it basically works out is, you need one set for each generation, like one for G4x, one for G3x, one for 965, one for 945, and so on.

Now, it is possible to a certain extent to get newer drivers onto older chipsets using the IEGD toolkit (as well as adding widescreen resolutions and such), but I'm not going to get into the workings of that.

I think I'll just do the that download all the drivers for each chipset just for XP, Vista and Win7 there not too big I least wouldn't have to update the old-ish chipset drivers much thou.

Back