• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 4870 Graphics problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Virus666

Hey guys i am having issues atm with my graphics let me explain:

My card is the Ati 4870 HD

I can provide additional info on the rest of my pc specs if needed

The problem i am having is this sorta blurry/distorted images when i loaded the games, the 2 games was Crysis & the new NFS both demos, its really hard to explain what i am seeing but in effect its impossible to play its sorta looks like several triangles running over my screen now i am playing wow atm full graphics no problems so my initial thought its not the card

I have the latest directx running on xp & also the latest ATi drivers

I know that this is not a overclocking problem but i need help as i am not so clued up with pc stuff

Any help would be appreciated

Does it look like any of the following?

1. This
2. This
Or 3. this

First is possible VRAM corruption, core clock is to high or the game is muffed.
Second is when your card is about to bite the dust. Corrupt VRAM, overheating and general bad stuff.
Third is when it's just way to hot.

hey m8 tks for replying its sorta nr.3 but just much worse the thing is i am not overclocking so how can a standard card be to hot?

If it's like the third but worse you might want to have a fire extinguisher handy...
You should be holding it under 90 degrees but if I were you I would aim to have the max at about 80 degrees or so.

Load up EVGA Precision, Rivatuner, speedfan, Coretemp (it will also give you GPU temp, not just CPU). Fire up FurMark and watch those temps! If they get over 80 I would shut the program down straight away. Also make sure the fan(s) are running at 100%.

If the temps are to high then cleaning out the GPU will be a good idea. DON'T use a vacuum cleaner! Some people don't mind risking it but I would suggest you get a can of air and blow all the dust out. If there are big clumps of dust then just grab a soft paintbrush and gently brush away the dust.

Post back with the temps and what you're planning to do and good luck :thup:

Ok this all sounds good but i went on the catalyst controller & went to the overclocking section & saw there is a manual fan speed override option & also saw that my temp is not over 60 degrees so.......... unless this thing is bull****ting me my degrees is under 60, when i get home i will manually override the fan speed & see if it helps.

tks for the help guys i appreciate it :cool:

It would be nice to see exactly what's happening.
Have you got a camera nearby to take a couple of pics?

Would probably show us exactly what the problem is straight away.

i will do m8 as soon as i get home just trying to soak up some sun & having a braai atm at a friends house :thup:

Hi m8, ok have checked everything out my card is not overheating as i windowed both games went into the catalyst controller & checked the temp it does not go over 63 degrees & i also boosted up the fan speed.

rivatuner does not have my card specs & i installed speedfan but that looks like it monitors my cpu degrees & evga precision wants me to register & also taking photos wont help the problem it dosnt show on the photo as its happening to fast also the card is new so i doubt it is dirty

Ahh artefacty.

Were the fans up to 100% while you were running that? If so then there's something else wrong with the card.

Now this is where I'm not 100% sure what I'm talking about. It could be as simple as something as a dodgy connection. If this is the case then the oven trick will fix this. Hopefully someone else will clarify this.

hey m8 tks for the tip, i researched the whole oven trick & tried it but still no improvement so i am sorta giving up i am thinking of returning the card as its pretty new

tks for the help i appreciate it ;-)

If it's new then you should definitely return it. Hopefully the oven trick hasn't changed your warranty status.

If you did the oven trick correctly and that hasn't fixed it I'm not to sure what else could be wrong with it.

well i did it 2 times actually :) the oven trick that is but did not work although i did some more research on this artefact problem & found another solution hopefully but it is to do with flashing the bios which i am not gonna play around with so my m8 who is more clued up with this kinda things will come & have a look at it

You've probably voided the warranty already. Flashing the bios I'm pretty certain will instantly void the warranty.

Just to make sure you know what you're getting into :thup:

I saw he checked CCC for his temp. Was this WHILE a game or benchmark was running on the screen and the card was actually being used, or was it while the game was minimized/windowed and 2d clocks active? Because then that 60c would be your IDLE temp and not your load temp, which is pretty high.

Back