• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9650SE slow???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zeta09

Registered
Hey all..

Boy..I am running a 3-ware 9650SE 8LPML (F/W 3.06; Soft vers: 9.5.3) that I've had for ~4 years and have two Western Dig 5000YS 500GB running RAID 1. Well I have about 114GB worth of information on them and naturally one of the drives showed "DEGRADED" status today so once I actually got the drive to be detected and it started to rebuild the array......Why did it take 4.5 hours ???? Really????? 4.5 hours for ~114 Gigs of info????

What am I missing. Forgive me if this is an ignorant rant but PLEASE let me know what I am honestly missing. I have not been wholly impressed with this 3 ware controller and have considered the Areca 1222 card instead. I have read and heard that the Intel IOP chip is supposed to be much faster but again maybe I am missing something.

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
That time seems right for a rebuild. takes me hours to rebuild my RAID 5 array on my 9650se-8lpml.

you can change your performance settings in the 3dm2 utility for faster I/O or faster Rebuild in degraded mode. i assume that this is a data storage array because you shouldnt be running just a mirror on an 8 port dedicated RAID card for just your OS. you wont see any benefit over onboard for something as simple as a mirror.

Thanks for the reply.

Oh no I have 6 disks total running RAID 5 with the important stuff from my network on it, a single disk for backup's backup and RAID 1 for DL'd programs, docs, pics and video I have amassed over the years. I just haven't been enamored with the card I guess. Kinda looking for an excuse to an extent to replace it but if that's as good as it gets then so be it. I was hoping I was missing something but I already switched over the priority to "Fastest Rebuild" and other than getting Raptors I guess that's the way it's gonna be.....sheesh.

Any other comments are welcome.

Back