• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ga-p67x-ud3-b3 OC with i5 2500K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xboxbman

Registered
Following the guidelines in this thread: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693613

I OC'd my cpu to 4.5, but I am still getting the occasional BSOD when running Prime95. Sometimes after 30 minutes, sometimes after 4-5 hours. Temp is peaking at about 60-63

Does anyone have any experience this particular mobo (bios F9)? I'm sure it is just some stupid little setting I am missing, but I can't figure out what it is.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

What prime 95 are you running? Small FFT (for CPU only what you should be running) or blend (cpu and ram)?

What voltage are you at? Have you tried bumping up the vcore a notch to see if its stable? If that doesnt do it, you may need to add some Vtt as you have a shed load of fast memory and that will need some Vtt to stabilize.

What prime 95 are you running? Small FFT (for CPU only what you should be running) or blend (cpu and ram)?

What voltage are you at? Have you tried bumping up the vcore a notch to see if its stable? If that doesnt do it, you may need to add some Vtt as you have a shed load of fast memory and that will need some Vtt to stabilize.

I'm using blend. Voltage is at 1.35.

I'll try adding to Vtt and see if that helps.

At work now, will test and report back later tonite.

Thanks.

Vcore was at 1.375 overnight, still BSOD'd, error code 0x124, which as far as I can tell indicates add more vcore or VTT. I bumped up VTT this morning from 1.05 to 1.1 (it allowed very small increments of 0.05, so I assumed this was a decent sized bump, please correct me if I'm wrong), we'll see how that works out.

I'm at work, letting it run through the day, I'll report back when I get home. If it still BSODs, I'll come back and post every single relevant setting and hopefully someone can tell me where I've gone wrong.

Thanks for the input so far!

right now I am not using the computer for anything except to run prime95 until I can be sure it is stable. I just log in and start testing, and have nothing else running on it.

Let me phrase the question a different way. Do you leave that PC on when you are not testing it and when you come back to it there is a BSOD? Or does it just BSODs upon stress testing?

Last edited:
Also just a quick question, do you have any idea how far into the prime test you end up getting a blue screen? is it 20 mins or 5 hours?

Keeping bumping up the vcore little by little. I think your VTT is more than enough, but in all honestly im not sure how much you need when running that much ram ;)

Let me phrase the question a different way. Do you leave that PC on when you are not testing it and when you come back to it there is a BSOD? Or does it just BSODs upon stress testing?

Am I right that you are asking whether it is BSODing while idle since I've OC'd it?

I don't know. Since I started trying to OC it, I log into windows and start testing right away, I don't give it much time sitting idle. I assumed if it is stable while testing it should be fine while idle.

Also just a quick question, do you have any idea how far into the prime test you end up getting a blue screen? is it 20 mins or 5 hours?

Keeping bumping up the vcore little by little. I think your VTT is more than enough, but in all honestly im not sure how much you need when running that much ram ;)

I've checked the logs, and it seems like it is lasting a number of hours before it crashes. vcore is at 1.375 when I left it this morning. I hope that's enough, should be from what I've read. Though my temp's still only hitting low 60s, so I have some play room I suppose.

I've checked the logs, and it seems like it is lasting a number of hours before it crashes. vcore is at 1.375 when I left it this morning. I hope that's enough, should be from what I've read. Though my temp's still only hitting low 60s, so I have some play room I suppose.

yer you should be fine for temps until you start hitting the 1.4v+ range. Dw those chips are pretty badass at handling their temps as well. Tbh i would say you would be fine for every day use if you are lasting 3-4 hours before it crashes. Unless you are doing sustained encoding for 4 hours on end. :p. I think thats what ED was getting at.

Being 24 hour prime stable is only useful for a few people. Ive only ever done a max of 5-6 hours and that has always = a rock solid OC for my needs. I havent had one blue screen / lock up since i put my 2700k to 5ghz and ive only primed it for about 4 hours.

so knowing what you use your comp for ( or will use it for) will help us see how prime stable you really need it to be :thup:.

ofc if its idea to be 100% prime stable, but you can get away with it at least

yer you should be fine for temps until you start hitting the 1.4v+ range. Dw those chips are pretty badass at handling their temps as well. Tbh i would say you would be fine for every day use if you are lasting 3-4 hours before it crashes. Unless you are doing sustained encoding for 4 hours on end. :p. I think thats what ED was getting at.

Being 24 hour prime stable is only useful for a few people. Ive only ever done a max of 5-6 hours and that has always = a rock solid OC for my needs. I havent had one blue screen / lock up since i put my 2700k to 5ghz and ive only primed it for about 4 hours.

so knowing what you use your comp for ( or will use it for) will help us see how prime stable you really need it to be :thup:.

ofc if its idea to be 100% prime stable, but you can get away with it at least

Well, that is good to hear. This computer is a combination htpc/gaming computer. It's on 24/7, and really the only stress on it is when I game, and to a much lesser extent watch movies. When I'm not using it, it's running torrents/newsgroups, but nothing remotely cpu intensive.

I'm not concerned with a 24 hour stress test, but want to make sure it can at least survive 6 hours. Last thing I want is a crash while I'm gaming.

Thanks to all who helped out, I'll post back when I get home and update on whether it survived the day, and how long it lasted if it did crash.

Just got in. Good news/bad news.

Good news: No BSD. Yay!

Bad news: One core was at 0% load, I checked the results and found this:
FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.4990577698, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected, consult stress.txt file.
this was 5 hours into the test.

Do I need to worry/care about this? And what remedies to fix it, if it is a problem?

Thanks again for all your help/advice with all this.

Back