• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-2500K OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orw

Hi there,

I have had my pc for a while now and I am now seriously considering overclocking my Intel i5-2500K on my Asus P8Z77-V LX Motherboard, so I can get more power out of it with my CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo - I would like something that I can run the CPU hard on for 10 hours max and that would be faster but stable and not get too hot. However, I am also very new to Overclocking so not exactly sure where to start. Any help very much appreciated.
My system;
Intel i5-2500k
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo
Asus P8Z77-V LX
2 x 8GB HyperX Fury DDR3-1666 RAM
ZOTAC GTX970
Asus GT710
CoolerMaster CM550W

Thanks very much, from orw

Increase the clock speed a little at a time. Then core voltage increase a little at a time for stability when testing with RealBench v2.56, LINK: https://rog.asus.com/rog-pro/realbench-v2-leaderboard/ or prime95, LINK: https://www.mersenne.org/download/ You can go up to 90c processor temperature and 1.4v core voltage, whichever comes first.

So I should increase clock speed, and then voltage, and then clock speed, and the voltage again (and over again) or keep increasing clock speed till something (Not sure what) and then increase voltage to something(Also not sure what)?
Also, what about other things like DRAM and stuff like that and other voltages?

Core voltage or what we call "vcore" is the voltage being spoken of. CPU core voltage.

"Clock speed" is the bus frequency multiplier. Stock multiplier is 33x and bus frequency is 100 mhz. 33 X 100=3300 mhz which is your base (non turbo) frequency. You want to increase that multiplier.

In order to jump start your overclocking effort, I would recommend setting the multiplier to 37x (the turbo frequency) and your core voltage to 1.325.

Download and install HWMonitor (free program). Open it on your desktop and adjust the size of the program window so you can see the voltages section and the core temp section.

Then run the Prime95 stress test for 20 minutes while monitoring the core temps, which as Wingman99 said you want to limit to 90c. If that temp is exceeded you will need to lower the core voltage.

If you pass that 20 minute Prime95 test then go into bios and increase the multiplier to 38x and retest. Repeat this process until you fail the stress test and then add .01 to the vcore. Repeat stress test. If still you fail it, add another .01 to the vcore.

Failing the stress test can mean any of these things:
1. Blue screen
2. System lock up
3. One or more Prime95 core "workers" drops out. This usually means you are close to being stable as opposed to 1. or 2. above.

The big picture is that increasing the speed of the CPU will require higher core voltage in order to support the higher speed and remain stable-just like a car engine needs more fuel to propel the car faster. However, more voltage means higher temps which, at some point, becomes the limiting factor. Instability when overclocking is either caused by insufficient core voltage or excessive temps or both. It can also be caused by limitations of the motherboard's power producing components ("VRM") which can overheat.

To overclock above the turbo speed of the CPU you might need to disable turbo in bios. I can't remember if that is necessary for that generation of processor.

Last edited:
So If I were to increase my 2500k to a stable 4.5GhZ overclock, what would be the coolest I could get it and what could I change to keep it cool (apart from the cpu cooler) , i mean like different voltage or something?

Nobody can tell you exactly what temperature you will get. Even systems with the same cpu and cooler will yield different temps due to all the variables involved (cooler, cooler mount, thermal paste used and application method, ambient temps, case cooling, and many more).

Voltage and temperature go hand in hand. The higher the voltage, the higher the temperature will be. The goal with overclocking is to use the least amount of voltage at a given clockspeed and the chip remain stable. This varies for each chip... even another 2500k.

Nobody can tell you exactly what temperature you will get. Even systems with the same cpu and cooler will yield different temps due to all the variables involved (cooler, cooler mount, thermal paste used and application method, ambient temps, case cooling, and many more).

Voltage and temperature go hand in hand. The higher the voltage, the higher the temperature will be. The goal with overclocking is to use the least amount of voltage at a given clockspeed and the chip remain stable. This varies for each chip... even another 2500k.
So basically the goal is to run 4.5GhZ at the lowest possible vcore whilst remaining stable?

So basically the goal is to run 4.5GhZ at the lowest possible vcore whilst remaining stable?

Yes, but your particular 2500k may not be able to attain a stable overclock of 4.5 ghz or it may be capable of more. Most of those will do 4.5 ghz, however on reasonable voltage. Believe it or not, there are variations in silicon quality and manufacturing processes that result in differences in overclocking capability with a given model of CPU. You just have to experiment.

Or whatever clock using reasonable voltages and getting good temps. The guide I linked lists the max voltage and temps for that CPU. :)

Also, How do i change the core voltage on the cpu in the bios?
9EA6CF75-4D3E-4C3D-A85A-8A6E621E4945.jpeg

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

Also, How do i change the core voltage on the cpu in the bios?
9EA6CF75-4D3E-4C3D-A85A-8A6E621E4945.jpeg

Where it says "AUTO", type in a value... or hit the page up/page down button.
But it usually starts at 0.800 on the manual voltage so is that saying that is only 0.800V and I need to move it to something else like 1.35?

No, it's not saying that. Those low values are present to allow "under clocking" and "undervolting." I think if you manually set it to 1.325 to start with that will be somewhat higher than default but still still safe and an mount that will not likely cause excessive temps. You can check what the default core voltage is by looking in the bios under the tab called "PC Health" or something similar.

His bios shows the current voltage already, 1.12V. I'd go 1.325V and 4.5 ghz and see if it boots.

haha,,,thought i was the only one ruuning an old 2011 cpu,,,i got the i5-2400 running on 4th computer, running linux...

Back