• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spam or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mother Goose

I'm attending a professional meeting in China next month. The meeting is legit (it has been going on for 25 years now), but today I received what looked like spam from one of the organizers (I believe a secretary).

The message is as follows:
Hello,
I am in a hurry writing this mail to you, I had travelled to
United Kingdom for an important meeting, But unfortunately for me the
hotel i lodged got attacked by robbers. I am so confused right now, I
don't know what to do or where to go. I didnt bring my phones here and
the hotel telephone lines were disconnected during the incident. So I
have access to only emails. Please i want you to lend me £1,530 today
so I can settle my hotel bills and leave here immediately because
things are getting really tough on me already. As soon as I get home I
would refund it immediately.Please I need you to get back to me as
soon as possible. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and regards,
[J.O. Smith]

The e-mail address is the same as the one listed on the meeting website. The e-mail's name (the one that appears in the header) is written in full, (say, John Smith), whereas the end of the e-mail was initialed J.O. Smith (for example).

I live in the United Kingdom (though admittedly, my e-mail indicates this as so). I forwarded the e-mail to the other meeting organizers, and someone e-mailed me back saying "Yes this is spam. Don't reply to it and just delete it".

Fine. I've received spam in the past. But generally, it's quite obvious what was auto-generated spam and what isn't. This case is different. The fact the letter is signed by the same name, but of a different format than in the e-mail headers is strange. It's not obvious that it is auto-generated by some sort of virus...but then again, maybe it is.

Have you guys seen spam of this nature before?

Edit: It does seem to be spam. I'm curious, however, was this sent by the person's e-mail? If it was sent by spoofing the e-mail, then I don't see how the spammer would get any replies I sent back. Does this mean that whomever's account is sending the spam was hacked?

Last edited:
Well you usually get spam when someone you know has their computer hacked and it starts sending e-mails to all the contacts in their address book.

Regardless this does seem very plausible, spammers are obviously getting better at this.

Back