• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your technology specialty?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twigglish

Just about everyone has one. What are you really good at? Maybe it's not knowing how to create your own hard drive or building diamond cutting lasers. Maybe it's something like being exceptionally good at digital painting. Maybe you have crazy audio editing skills. Maybe you know everything there is to know about cameras.
This thread isn't about tooting your own horn, but more about sharing your skills and possibly making some new connections. Whatever your skill is, post it here. Who knows how useful this thread could become for everyone.

Myself? I don't think I'm any superman at any one thing. I'm proficient in making good web sites. I can also find my way around photoshop :)

edit: Also, I thought this thread would have been made before, but the search isn't working for me right now. A new thread won't hurt.

I do both hardware and software.

Right now I am writing an app to keep track of my pay. I'm a bus driver and get paid either by the mile or hourly, but the software the company I work for uses doesn't break down the pay by trip, so the drivers are at their mercy at pay day. Fortunately for us, the company is very honest, but I'd still like to have a record. So far I have it to the point that I can accurately calculate my net pay after taxes.

I am remaking a game my dad was working on for the Mac in the early 90's. I'm updating it with 32-bit graphics, OpenGL so it can be cross platform and basically completing it since he abandoned it.

This paycheck, I am going to make a RFID-based entry system for my car. I'm going to follow that with a RFID ignition system.

Analytical chemistry.

Give me a sample and enough money and I can tell you all about it.

I just finished a semester-long project comprised of reverse engineering this liquid nails adhesive variety pack:

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Adhe...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I tried to have it switched to analysis of arctic silver and mx-7, but the instructor wouldn't go for it. Too bad. It would have made for an interesting post.

I do both hardware and software.

Right now I am writing an app to keep track of my pay. I'm a bus driver and get paid either by the mile or hourly, but the software the company I work for uses doesn't break down the pay by trip, so the drivers are at their mercy at pay day. Fortunately for us, the company is very honest, but I'd still like to have a record. So far I have it to the point that I can accurately calculate my net pay after taxes.

I am remaking a game my dad was working on for the Mac in the early 90's. I'm updating it with 32-bit graphics, OpenGL so it can be cross platform and basically completing it since he abandoned it.

This paycheck, I am going to make a RFID-based entry system for my car. I'm going to follow that with a RFID ignition system.

I'd be interesting in seeing what else you've made.

Analytical chemistry.

Give me a sample and enough money and I can tell you all about it.

I just finished a semester-long project comprised of reverse engineering this liquid nails adhesive variety pack:

http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Adhe...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I tried to have it switched to analysis of arctic silver and mx-7, but the instructor wouldn't go for it. Too bad. It would have made for an interesting post.

Very cool. I believe it would have been a good read for many :)

General Hardware. Working my way slowly into UNIX/Linux programming, but if that ain't some hard/time consuming s***, I don't know what is.

Next year I start my PhD in Analog IC design so hopefully that becomes my specialty...if I survive...

networks and hardware

set up a network for 500,000 machines and printers in 2 days complete with security and cisco routing protocols and beautiful VoIp

hardware is just easy and a fun hobby

I don't really have a true specialty, but I've been goofing around with PCs since I was a wee little child, and in about two months I'll obtain my AA degree in Electronics and Computer Engineering Technology. So I kinda just have above average knowledge with hardware. Absolutely no work experience in trouble-shooting devices though. Hopefully I can find a decent entry level job soon. :)

I must say I'm hooorrible with software stuff. My solution to any difficult software issue is to just format and reinstall everything.:eek:

My solution to any difficult software issue is to just format and reinstall everything.:eek:

If the information is backed up properly that can be the cheap alternative. I used to be, well lets just say it was me and a regional company.

Do you have any idea how long it takes to clean a crapped reg? I recommend to everyone I do any work for to get an external drive and backup software.

Sometimes a reinstall is the solution if you cant over install. For the money anyway.

I'd be interesting in seeing what else you've made.

Not too much honestly. This is all a hobby for me. I like designing stuff. Usually I get to the point that I prove the concept and then lose interest. I think I'm ADHD or something.:-/

The RFID thingy is out of necessity though. I was on my way home from Atlanta last week when my roommate called and told me she locked her keys in my car. With the power on. The spare key is in my wallet, in my pocket and I'm just outside of Birmingham, Al, 750 miles from home. Making her a spare key is the easy way, but the whole key concept is flawed and outdated. If you have to insert the thing you use to unlock the doors into a hole in an out of sight part of the car to start the car, there is a design flaw.

Here is a prototype temperature controller I was making for a snake cage. I stopped the project due to some upcoming laws concerning non-native species that kinda took the fun out of reptile keeping.
TemperatureControlleredit.jpg

Last edited:
Mark, there was a website I was going to share with you but I can't remember the name of it. Maybe you already know of it. I swear the name was something like automated house. Anyhow, it was a small community of people who do really cool house mods. Building their own automatic window shades and the like. It's cool stuff you might be able to do. It all seemed a bit advanced for me.

Engineering workstations. Hardware and software for them.

All the engineering cards, the differences between them, how the programs are coded and all that stuffs.

Solidworks most specifically. I am slowly learning a few CAM packages. I have taken classes on GibbsCAM and learning SolidCAM now.

I love 3D modeling then machining that idea :D

Engineering workstations. Hardware and software for them.

All the engineering cards, the differences between them, how the programs are coded and all that stuffs.

Solidworks most specifically. I am slowly learning a few CAM packages. I have taken classes on GibbsCAM and learning SolidCAM now.

I love 3D modeling then machining that idea :D

I am glad someone does:) I hate it when the programming is done in an office by a draftsman that has no clue about the equipment or process.

Back