• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help with 2 router extended wireless signal in home (or boost wireless signal)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

We have a buffalo WHR-HP-G300N in the basement set up with wireless. The wireless setup is set up like this.

By the time the signal reaches the computer upstairs it is a very low strength, 1mb/s.

A friend gave me his Linksys BEFW1154 ver .4 . I have it plugged into a solid line upstairs and would like to extend the wireless signal coming from the basement.

Or

boos output of buffalo router?

Thank you

-pinky

That would be a BEFW11S4. I believe that is the worse router I have ever owned in my life...

It does not support any repeater or client bridge features that I know of. It also does not support custom firmware, which would add those abilities. Finally, it is a wireless-B only router, which would mean your Buffalo router would have to be using mixed mode and your upstairs computer would be limited to B speeds.

You could try to go into the wireless config of the Buffalo and boost the power output. Other options would be to run a cable to the upstairs or get a cheap router that supports wireless repeater mode. There are also some wireless repeaters and wireless ethernet bridges that you could get, but I bet you could get a router for the same price.

I can not figure out how to increase signal strength via the stock software. I can not load my own as that will void warranty.

The linksys is a no go.

So either buy new antenna or figure out how to boost signal with stock software.

any other thoughts. Thanks

I can not figure out how to increase signal strength via the stock software. I can not load my own as that will void warranty.

The linksys is a no go.

So either buy new antenna or figure out how to boost signal with stock software.

any other thoughts. Thanks

It might void the warranty but how long is the warranty for? I've been running dd-wrt for years and only ever had one router die, and I think that it was do to a power surge, and that probably isn't covered under warranty anyway. Just saying that what are the chances of the unit dying within the warranty anyway ;)

You basically want a wireless bridge to connect the two LANs. I still don't see how DD-WRT will help here. The Linksys does not support DD-WRT, only the Buffalo does. That would mean the Linksys would have to be the main router and the Buffalo would need DD-WRT and be set in Client Bridge mode.

To be honest, you would be better off just buying a cheap router like the ASUS WL-520gU or some wireless-N router that supports DD-WRT on it and use it as the Client Bridge. It would be almost the same price as an antenna and it would give you more functionality.

You basically want a wireless bridge to connect the two LANs. I still don't see how DD-WRT will help here. The Linksys does not support DD-WRT, only the Buffalo does. That would mean the Linksys would have to be the main router and the Buffalo would need DD-WRT and be set in Client Bridge mode.

To be honest, you would be better off just buying a cheap router like the ASUS WL-520gU or some wireless-N router that supports DD-WRT on it and use it as the Client Bridge. It would be almost the same price as an antenna and it would give you more functionality.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, make the linksys the primary.

I just bough a WL-520GU and it's great, I love the printer support with dd-wrt, now I can printer from anywhere without having to have a pc on.

Back