• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I use my Linksys Access Point to extend signal

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eaglepi

I have a Linksys wireless router in my basement connected to my cable modem, it is a wireless & wired router, I have a cat 5 cable run upstiars to a office where we had a computer, we no longer use the computer.

Can I connect that cat 5 cable to my Access Point and extend the signal upstairs so that the signal is stronger. I get a signal upstair from my wireless router downstairs but the signal isn't as high as I would like.

If I can extend it with my access point is there any special configuring that I ahve to do???

Thanks

Yup, that's what an access point does! :)

What model access point do you have? Maybe someone here also has it and can give detailed setup advice...

Seems they have a good collection of FAQs on the product page, might want to browse those first and that will probably do it...

http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/wireless/lbc/wap54g

In particular:

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.a...cid=81004756c3e1451189694a07a128707b_4165.xml

Thank you very much for all the links you give me but I think it confused me more than anything.

Can someone help me out buy answering a few questions.

I want to use my access point WAP54G to extend the signal from my wireless/wired router in my basement to the upstairs.

Which is the best way to configure the Access Point, Access Point or Access Point repeater

From what I can understand in the links that were provided I have to set the mac address on the access point to the same mac address that is on my router. I followed the instructions but my firware must be different because the mac address doesn't appear on the page in the instructions.

How do I find the mac address on my router

More questions to follow I am sure.

Thanks

If your using the latest DDWRT. I can give specific input how to configure an access point in bridged mode. Using virtual interfaces.

If your using stock (Cisco) firmware. A few terms that will apply to you. Bridged - Client Bridged, Status Tab for router MAC. I haven't seen the stock firmware of Linksys/Cisco for a long time now. I could help you fiddle. The principles are the same, just the options differ.

If your using the latest DDWRT. I can give specific input how to configure an access point in bridged mode. Using virtual interfaces.

If your using stock (Cisco) firmware. A few terms that will apply to you. Bridged - Client Bridged, Status Tab for router MAC. I haven't seen the stock firmware of Linksys/Cisco for a long time now. I could help you fiddle. The principles are the same, just the options differ.

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately I do not understand the details of setting up a home network. I can just get it working but beyond that not much

You were speaking Greek to me, I know you were trying to help me but what you said was way above my head

It's ok if at first you don't understand. If need be, we can take it bit by bit.

First off. Is the device stock? If it is, what revision/version of the firmware.

It's ok if at first you don't understand. If need be, we can take it bit by bit.

First off. Is the device stock? If it is, what revision/version of the firmware.

My router is a Linksys WRT54GL on the bottom where the model # is it also says ver.1.1

Frmware Version: v4.30.11, Aug. 7, 2007

Hopes this helps

Sorry for the lag in the reply/. Yes, it does help. You actually have a very good router.

Before we get into details. In a scale of 1-10. How proficient are you in reading directions? (To the letter.) Since you have a good router, might as well take advantage of some neat features.
The reason I ask. Is that you are able to use DDWRT. Which opens ALOT of features on the device which make setting up your router to exactly suite you... And then some, beyond what you ever experienced. Plus I am (very) experienced with that firmware.

There is risk flashing your device, though not complicated. Hence why I ask how good you are at following instructions.

If you're in a rush. We can get his going fast. If you want it tricked out and beyond. This might take a bit. Either way. I will and others, will help as best we can.

Sorry for the lag in the reply/. Yes, it does help. You actually have a very good router.

Before we get into details. In a scale of 1-10. How proficient are you in reading directions? (To the letter.) Since you have a good router, might as well take advantage of some neat features.
The reason I ask. Is that you are able to use DDWRT. Which opens ALOT of features on the device which make setting up your router to exactly suite you... And then some, beyond what you ever experienced. Plus I am (very) experienced with that firmware.

There is risk flashing your device, though not complicated. Hence why I ask how good you are at following instructions.

If you're in a rush. We can get his going fast. If you want it tricked out and beyond. This might take a bit. Either way. I will and others, will help as best we can.

I happy with my router as it is, I just want connect my WAP54G access point as a extender upstairs

The simplest way is to set the router [wireless tab] in bridged repeater mode. If that option does not show, then look for an entry simply called bridged, bridge or repeater in the wireless section.

When you find it. That is the way to get it to connect to the other device. Like I mentioned before, I am not familiar with the stock firmware of Cisco. I know for a fact DDWRT will do it.

If you look in google, you will see what I mean.
set WRT54GL in bridge repeater mode

I am not coping out on ya,. I just have to build some info first, to best help you.

I found what appears to be stock firmware instructions. 54G or 54GL the instructions will apply//
http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.ph...to-setup-a-wrt54g-in-client-bridge-mode.2336/

Last edited:
The simplest way is to set the router [wireless tab] in bridged repeater mode. If that option does not show, then look for an entry simply called bridged, bridge or repeater in the wireless section.

When you find it. That is the way to get it to connect to the other device. Like I mentioned before, I am not familiar with the stock firmware of Cisco. I know for a fact DDWRT will do it.

I am not coping out on ya,. I just have to build some info first, to best help you.

What would I gain if I did it the way you suggest? Not that I don't trust you but a lot of people like to push their hardware and all I want is to connect the access point to my router to extend the signal and I am sure I can do that without a third party firmware.. any I wrong

What would I gain if I did it the way you suggest? Not that I don't trust you but a lot of people like to push their hardware and all I want is to connect the access point to my router to extend the signal and I am sure I can do that without a third party firmware.. any I wrong

With using DDWRT. I will be able to exactly help you. Plus you open options up, that Cisco firmware simply does not have. It is not about pushing the limits. It's making your hardware more useful and able to do what you need. In some cases much easier.

Since the site is lagging. This might be a little bit to get a easy dialog going...

Back