• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1066 DDR2 running 333?!?! :(( help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Craiig.

Registered
I Have 3GB of this ram

and in my bios its fsb speed (unlinked to cpu) is stating 666 (or 667)

nw10dz.jpg

Thats Wrong? :(

Set FSB - Memory Clock Mode to Linked, and change FSB - Memory Ratio to 5:4 for an effective 1055MHz DRAM frequency.

When you set the FSB - Memory Ratio to Sync Mode, this changes the FSB : DRAM ratio to 1:2, which equates to a 1688MHz DRAM frequency.

Please notice that CPU-Z is saying that this is actually DDR2 667 ram with an Extreme Profile (EPP) of 1066 speed at 2.3 volts. I think that this is pretty common where they figure out that the ram can be sold at a higher speed with more voltage (in other words OC'ing the ram). Also the EPP is for running at 2T.

Set FSB - Memory Clock Mode to Linked, and change FSB - Memory Ratio to 5:4 for an effective 1055MHz DRAM frequency.

i tried this, but the fsb was 1333 giving 3.16Ghz CPU speed, but 1066mhz ram

also didnt boot so im doing something wrong

Please notice that CPU-Z is saying that this is actually DDR2 667 ram with an Extreme Profile (EPP) of 1066 speed at 2.3 volts. I think that this is pretty common where they figure out that the ram can be sold at a higher speed with more voltage (in other words OC'ing the ram). Also the EPP is for running at 2T.

hmm thank you :) very helpful
guess i got conned :(

seems to be okay now, i got linked sync ratio fsb speed 1691 giving 4GHz and 845MHz :))

seems to be stable

thanks for your help everyone

Craiig. said:
i dont and have never touched the bus speed. i dont even know where that is in my bios. it changes when i change the rated FSB
In your first post, you posted a pic. of CPU-Z showing a bus speed (FSB) of 422.7MHz (the default FSB of a E8500 is 333MHz), running on a 14:11 FSB : DRAM ratio = 667MHz DRAM frequency.
hmm thank you :) very helpful
guess i got conned :(
The link you posted to your specific RAM is OCZ PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066), so no you didn't get "conned", regardless of whether JEDEC #3 is 667MHz. EPP #1 is 533MHz (DDR2-1066), which is what you purchased.

With the RAM synced at a FSB of 422MHz = 1690MHz "Rated FSB" as shown by CPU-Z (422MHz x 4), the RAM is currently running at a considerably lower frequency than what it's rated to run at. This is why I suggested changing the FSB - Memory Ratio to 5:4 for an effective 1055MHz DRAM frequency.

Last edited:
You didn't get conned. That ram will run at 1066 speed at 2.3 volts. However, you would need to get all of the numbers right in order for that to happen. That is easier to do on some boards than others. I would be interested to see those same screenshots from CPU-Z with your latest settings. Also if there is anyway that you could post a picture of your BIOS screens that are involved with those settings. Do you have a digital camera? I might try and see if I can download your manual.

Well I see the BIOS page in question in this review...

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/asus_formula_striker_2/3.html

Have you tried what redduc900 suggested? Make sure that the voltage is set to 2.3 volts. I think that he is right as long as there is a choice for a 5:4 ratio. That would be a DRAM to FSB ratio. Otherwise if the ratio were FSB to DRAM I guess that it would be 4:5. Too hard for me to say since I don't have access to the computer.

Also redduc900 what would happen if you set it to Unlinked and 1066? Would that work or not?

Last edited:
I think that I figured this one out. First though I need to know how you got to a FSB of 1690. The thing that I now see is that when you set it to linked you are presented with a max FSB of 1333. Hence your ram runs at 1066 and with your 9.5 multiplier your CPU will run at 3.16 just like you said. I don't suppose that your multiplier can be raised so doing it that way may not work.

9.5 x 333 = 3.16 GHz.

Maybe you need to keep it on Unlinked to get 1066 for ram speed and the 4 GHz for the CPU. I just don't understand how the FSB could run at 1600 speed if the board does not support a 1600 FSB speed. I think that we are just OC'ing the FSB and the board is okay with that.

Last edited:
Back