• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Replacing CPU - need input

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

shane01101

Registered
So my dad gots a computer with a P4 2.6ghz processor and its slow but I have an old CPU thats still in my old rig I havent used in a couple years, it is a P4 3.2GHz. Can I just switch these two processors without applying the silver compound or will I need to buy some before I switch? Also I dont know if the 3.2ghz cpu is damaged or not, parts from the system were taken out and reused. So if I put in faster processor that hasnt been used for awhile and if it happens to be damaged or not working, will it hurt the working system if is damaged? Such as the Mobo?

yeah it should be fine to switch the cpus, as long as they are the same socket, i know p4s came in 478/775 varieties, but i would recommend re-applying the silver compound, if the 3.2 cpu is bad i dont think it will damage the system with the 2.6 in it at all, unless i am wrong?

yeah it should be fine to switch the cpus, as long as they are the same socket, i know p4s came in 478/775 varieties, but i would recommend re-applying the silver compound, if the 3.2 cpu is bad i dont think it will damage the system with the 2.6 in it at all, unless i am wrong?

yeah you're fine...but +1 on reapplying the silver compound...that's a must :)

+3 Replacing the TIM is a must, after sitting for a while. Doesn't need to be anything special like arctic silver 5. Just a good decent TIM should be fine, considering he is probably not gonna be overclocking it. Little jobs like that I used the standard paste that came with my zalman. I save my as5 for my rigs.

Back