• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 920 just loves to run hot...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dontworryimadoc

idle temps with stock cooler would hover around 60c, obviously something was wrong so I picked up a spire thermax eclipse II (frostytech had it as highest rated for cooling). I installed it and now idle temps are 36-40c and on a prime95 blend test with stock settings on all 8 cores after 30 minutes led to core temps of around 64c. and this is on just a stock CPU with turbo enabled. :/

from what i've seen on forums isn't this all possible with just the stock heatsink? i'm really anxious to start overclocking this cpu but i'm not sure if i'll be able to have the temps to handle it :[

any suggestions? is there something wrong with my rig?

(some background)
i7 920 D0 stepping
gigabyte GA ex58
6 gigs of ram
hd4890

Last edited:
[...]I picked up a spire thermax eclipse II (frostytech had it as highest rated for cooling).
Next time maybe you'll skip those useless Frostytech synthetic tests. ;)
This heatsink looks like 3RSystem Boss II. My friend Ramiro tested it. Meh...

64°C on cores in load with prime95 Large FTTs and HT on is perfect fine. What's your ambient temperature?
You can fine tune your Vcore too so you can shave a couple of degrees.
Use latest beta of RealTemp or CoreTemp to monitor your core temperatures.

Is this a new system or a new processor? My 920 idled at close to 60C with the stock cooler on it when I first got it, but after a month or two temps went down to a more reasonable 40C without any extra modifications.

I would overclock maybe it will surprise you and dissipate the heat effectively, you should see 75c-80c at 4.0GHz.:burn:

I oc'd to 3.4ghz (163x21) and after running a blend test in prime95 for 14 hours the highest temp recorded in realtemp was 69c on core #1. The other three cores maxed out at 68c and 67c.

I'll try a 3.8ghz clock later and see how that goes.

cya.

would this heatsink be a big improvement over my dark knight? How did this handle 3.8ghz? what temp is the room your in at?

Back