• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7-2600k not powerful enough to play/decode john wick movie 74GB file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pinky33

I use my old gaming rig with an i7-2600k @ 4.7 on my basement HTPC. Was trying to play john wick via VLC. I tried a few other players, but VLC still had the least stuttering. Movie was fine for the first 20min or so, but as soon as the action started it starting lagging out.

Edit, the 2600k sits at 100% usage the whole movie

I was trying to watch a copy of John wick. I am trying this new method of downloading a digital copy vs streaming to see if I can tell the difference without compression of streaming. Also added some more speakers to try atmos. Anyway it seems my processor is to old or something. Even my upstairs HTPC with a low level amd 2200g using Vega 8 Graphics ran at 15-25% cpu usage running this movie.

Given the raw CPU power the 2 chips are not that far apart. So my assumtion is somethign is wrong on my basement/projector HTPC or its just outdated architecture?????

Thanks for any ideas to try.

Last edited:
VLC has always given me problems, I switched to media player classic (yes, the old windows built-in player) from K-Lite codec pack and was actually surprised to see how lightweight/fast it was, my old FX-4300 had no issues decoding Blu-ray compressed or not, try it 👍

Standard or Full version depending on what you need

Could also be problems with the audio drivers (you said you included more hardware) or the file was corrupted somehow?

Given the raw CPU power the 2 chips are not that far apart.
Release dates 7 years apart, could there be some instruction set that the 2200g handles better than the 2600k?

Also, DDR3 versus DDR4, huge bandwidth difference.

And:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230620_213019.jpg
    Screenshot_20230620_213019.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 9
Is the movie h264 or h265? The latter takes more processing power to unpack. I had to add a graphics card to my HTPC to be able to decode h265 videos. Otherwise it would lag badly, especially on 10bit h265.

You could also try running it through something like Handbrake to reduce the size. My 4k movies are 20-30gb in size.

Was gonna say as others did, the 2600k is going to seriously struggle to decode newer codecs. You would be better off with a GPU to assist, even something like a 1650 super [what I have in my plex server to transcode] is sufficient (at least for everything I've thrown at it -- granted, not AV1)

toss in a card like janus said, maybe look at Intel A380 if you want something newer. looking around for the HW decoding it looks like the best deal for something new. if the price is right look at the GT640 or GT730, the non-oem versions. they will have nv's VP5 engine which will do H246 but if you need H265 you would need to find a GTX9x0 card.

wish intel had their own card of the A380, however all the asrock stuff i have used is solid. started using Asrock after my asus R2G X58.

Last edited:
Used Klight codec pack with windows media player classic and it worked.

The computer already has a GPU in it R9 200 series I think.

Anyway it was an experiment and neither my friend nor I could tell much of an improvement with the 74GB vs a 3.8Gb file besides audio being worse.

Thanks for all your help.

Back