• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DOS on 16GB Flash Drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
... which for some stupid reason can't be partitioned into more than one part :/

Anyway, i need a simple, working, MS-Dos distro that i can put onto my flash drive and run WD's stupid little WDIDLE program so my new hard drive won't head park itsself to death :/ I know enough about DOS to get a directory list, and open an EXE (which is all i'm doing)

I don't, however, know of any that will take more than an 8GB drive...

Are you sure the wdidle program is compatible w/ the WD green drives, and that the Intelli Park times can be altered, or if Intelli Park can be disabled altogether?

Are you sure the wdidle program is compatible w/ the WD green drives, and that the Intelli Park times can be altered, or if Intelli Park can be disabled altogether?

Yes. Wdidle3.exe is meant to increase the Intelli Park times/disable it (It doesn't really disable it, just sets it to 62 minutes)

I've only had this hard drive a day and a half and it's already go 300 load cycle counts... something seems to access the drive every 10 or 15 seconds or so, so the head is constantly loading and unloading.

Freedos doesn't seem to want to work for me :/ i do have several ubuntu live CDs though. Will Dosbox talk directly to the hardware?

And whose idea was it to write this program in dos anyway? DOS? Really? :bang head

EDIT: Okay, dosbox is a no go...

Last edited:
Try Enhanced DR-DOS.

Also try wine (but I doubt it'll work, no direct hw access).

I'm guessing you don't have a floppy drive?

Why isn't freedos working? Can't get it onto the flashdrive? Or it won't run the program?

Try Enhanced DR-DOS.

Also try wine (but I doubt it'll work, no direct hw access).

I'm guessing you don't have a floppy drive?

Why isn't freedos working? Can't get it onto the flashdrive? Or it won't run the program?

Thanks, i'll try Dr-DOS next

And i can get it to start, i just have no clue where to put the file/where it ends up... I figured "Okay, drop it into the freedos folder on the drive". Nope. Not there. I looked in every directory that was there, and i found nothing :/

GOT IT :D

Okay, wasn't really hard at all... if you count installing Vista in a VM, and then doing it in that easy... (cause i have a 64bit OS)

Anyway here are the steps i took:
1. Downloaded FDOEMCD.builder.zip from http://www.fdos.org/bootdisks/.
2. Added wdidle3.exe to CDROOT folder. ( http://www.synology.com/support/faq_ima ... didle3.zip )
3. Executed MAKEISO.BAT to create new FDOEM.ISO CD image file.
4. Burned FDOEM.ISO to CD and viola - it will boot to DOS and allows wdidle3 to run.
5. Executed Wdidle3.exe with /S180 to set all WD drives to unload the head after 3 minutes.

This program also works on WD Green, Blue, Black, and Rapter drives.
Got the instructions from http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic.php?f=124&t=20907

All that trouble for a simple solution... typical :/

Back