• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

which better ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fredick

Hello everyone

which one better ?

AMD Athlon X4 610e 2.4 GHz 45 watt
or
AMD Phenom X4 900e 2.4 GHz 65 watt

and I even didn't know how exactly L3 cache used for ?

Anyone Could help me ?? Plis give the reason in detail
I'm planning Upgrade my CPU for MCP6PB M2+
PSU 450watt

my current is AMD Athlon X2 245 2.9 GHz 65 watt

Thanks A lot

Last edited:
the 65 watt will allow for higher overclocks
heres what cache is
L1 cache is like a very very very small piece of ram right inside your CPU for very very very stupid fast storage
L2 cache is pretty much the same as L! except a little bigger and a little bit further away from the CPU which makes it a bit slower
L3 cache is the slowest of the 3 but still is hundreds of times faster than your RAM. L3 is the largest and sits right on the edge of the CPU die acting as a memory buffer for the cpu. bigger is always better

owhh Really ??!

then it means L3 is far better than only has L2 :drool:

ow yeah "A hundred" times faster than RAM
can't amazing what speed it could be
hehe.... never have L3 before :attn:

btw I've never overclocking before
how should it work ?

Last edited:
Here is a clock for clock NO BS just numbers

http://www.overclockers.com/amd-phenom-ii-athlon-ii-performance-comparison/

This way you actually get the informatrion from someone who knows first hand.

Look at the numbers and focus on what you do and what environment you do it in.

arcanise the 65 watt does not allow for higher clocks. It will need higher v to get up there (relative to base v) and will level out close to the standard PhII v and furthermore because on the low multiplier the OC will be very MB dependent.

I get 3.9 out of my 620 and 3.6 out of my 905e

Last edited:
Get a Black Edition AMD CPU like Phenom II X4 955/965,they are powerful & overclock well,but don't expect them to save energy though:rock:

a higher watt usage not depent a higher clocks ?

i work in graphics and games should that possible use that quad core?
or dual core is enough ?

I'm still confused.. can't find any option in BIOS for overclock
or my board dont support for clocking ?

hmm~~
then what's difference dual or quad core ?
more clock more speed ?
or higher clocks higher speed ?
Sorry asking a lot :rain:

http://www.overclockers.com/amd-phenom-ii-athlon-ii-performance-comparison/

This way you actually get the informatrion from someone who knows first hand.

Look at the numbers and focus on what you do and what environment you do it in.

arcanise the 65 watt does not allow for higher clocks. It will need higher v to get up there (relative to base v) and will level out close to the standard PhII v and furthermore because on the low multiplier the OC will be very MB dependent.

I get 3.9 out of my 620 and 3.6 out of my 905e
+1 Especially on the 65W clocking higher...

Neither is a bad choice. I have both and honestly the 620 is snappier due to the lack of L3 and the PhII gets the heavy work done. If you can afford it then definitely get the PhII unless you run software that the AthII is particularly better at running.

Neither is a bad choice. I have both and honestly the 620 is snappier due to the lack of L3 and the PhII gets the heavy work done. If you can afford it then definitely get the PhII unless you run software that the AthII is particularly better at running.

so it says
although a higher like phenom not always better than athlon ?

ath.JPG

ath2.JPG

Take notice that under normal (no load) the AthII is actually a tad faster but under a load that is almost impossible to have unless you are stressing the PhII is almost 25% faster So what can be derived is that clock for clock the PhII will average 12% faster under a balanced load however if you are not going to load the CPU then it is really up in the air.

This does not account for heavy gaming and there may be a different variance and some games could create an outlier either way.

View attachment 84522

View attachment 84523

Take notice that under normal (no load) the AthII is actually a tad faster but under a load that is almost impossible to have unless you are stressing the PhII is almost 25% faster So what can be derived is that clock for clock the PhII will average 12% faster under a balanced load however if you are not going to load the CPU then it is really up in the air.

This does not account for heavy gaming and there may be a different variance and some games could create an outlier either way.

based on read and write Athlon more better
Hmmm
Then what's your advice ?
Shoud Athlon or Phenom

me myself get a really hard choice~
hahaa no idea what shoud i get a match one

If you are just using for GP then the Athlon will do and be a bit faster and efficient if you are a heavy user or plan on multiple multitask situations go for the Phenom.

If you are just using for GP then the Athlon will do and be a bit faster and efficient if you are a heavy user or plan on multiple multitask situations go for the Phenom.

ow
this really help
then I'll go for Athlon anyway

hehe
*have athlon should save money*

thanks A lot !!!

Do you work with graphics programs or were you just talking about gaming? Generally, the Phenom will perform better with graphics programs because of all the calculations those programs do.

If it's just gaming the Athlon should be fine ... :)

I will never save this kind of petty cash,especially when choosing CPUs,Higher performance,future proof,longer time before having to upgrade your rig:rock:

Back