• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX460 - Reference/Noise or Aftermarket/Case Heat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WayOut

I've been looking at the recently released GTX460 on Newegg and various review sites and I'm really impressed; Nvidia may have gotten the price/performance mark perfect. However, I'm confused about whether to purchase an eVGA card with the reference cooler, or a different brand with an aftermarket cooler. I'm planning to purchase everything in October or so, and am using it in a studio environment. I am determined to get the Corsair 600T case when it is released, along with a H50 or H70 to cool my i7 930, which I've already purchased. Here is where I find my problem. The eVGA cards are louder, which is a problem as I need a computer as quiet as it can be in the studio, but they expel heat out the back of the case, which will make my H50/H70 more efficient (I'm setting it as a push/pull exhaust), and I like the look and warranty of the eVGA cards. However, I could also get a card with aftermarket cooling, such as the Gigabyte 1GB version, which has several benefits. They tend to run cooler than the reference cooler version, and are quieter, but they will expel hot air into the case, which will heat up my other components quite a bit (especially if I get two for SLI like I'm planning) and I think they look pretty damn ugly. So my question is: which type of GTX460 is better for my situation? Oh, and I refuse to get an ATI card so that's not an option ;)

The EVGA cards are about 7C hotter, and much louder. The reference coolers are not great in SLI, though. Does your mobo allow for placing the cards in slots 1/5 so there's some room to breath between them? The stock cooler would work OK in that situation..

The GF104 isn't an extremely hot chip. I don't think the Gigabyte will adversely affect your other components too much. And better cooling system = more overclocking = better performance. Plus it's quieter, and the same price.

I would go with the Gigabyte card. Personally, I think dual fans look cool :).

I have no problem with the dual fans, I just don't like the blue PCB. Black looks much cooler :) If there was some way to cover up the back of the card without affecting temps then I would have no problem getting the Gigabyte cards if they don't heat up the inside of my case too much. I'm getting the eVGA FTW3 board, which would let me SLI with slots 1 and 5 if I'm not mistaken, so the reference card is still an option too. But if there's some way to shroud the back of the PCB on those Gigabyte cards, as I'm going for a red, grey, and black color scheme with this build, then I would be totally satisfied with those Gigabyte cards. Thanks for the help, guys. :D

There are two types of EVGA cards - the unmarked ones should be the 460 reference cooler (aka mostly case exhaust). They also have an EE version, which is appropriately enough, external exhaust. that's the one that ratbuddy notes runs hotter.
Of course, last time I checked, they only have EE-versions of the 1GB cards, though.

Back