• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cogage Arrow vs Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme Rev. C???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PKgk1

Registered
I've narrowed down the best available CPU cooler for under 80 dollars to two options: the Cogage arrow and the Thermalright ultra 120 extreme rev. C.

Which one is better for, well, cooling? I want to be able to overclock as much as I can (I'd me more than satisfied getting the i7 930 from 2.8 to 4.0 but don't know if this cooling is adequate)

As I'm a newb when it comes to overclocking and cooling (I used to be fine with stock fans and heatsinks) I was wondering if there were any benchmarks you guys could link, or tell me the differences between the two, pros, cons, etc.

One thing I'm not so clear on is that the cogage arrow says it supports up to three fans (allowing you to add 2). Does the thermalright support this as well?

Could anyone link me the specific fans I'd have to buy to utilize the additional two fans the arrow supports if I end up buying it? I have about 30 more dollars left over in my build's budget so I don't mind buying a couple additional small fans.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

I'm using some cheapie 120x25mm fans that are rated at 2000 RPM but I'm also using fan control. To throw a wrench at ya, the Scyth Mugen2 Rev B performs very good as well and is only $40 at Performance-PC's (which is where I got my Arrow):

Scythe Mugen:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...=26935&zenid=2866e821f8cccfe61623f1962c2c33ae

Cogage Arrow:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=46_450_513&products_id=27217

Comes with one 120x25mm fan 4-pin, 2000 RPM (If memory serves).

Cogage can support three 120x38mm fans. I don't believe any other air cooler can accomplish this. The Noctua DH14 can support two 120x38mm fans with a third 120x25mm in the middle. Noctua and CoGage trade blows with each other and are the latest models that support 3 fans:

http://www.techreaction.net/2010/04/19/review-seven-way-am3-cooler-shootout-winner-takes-all/

In any case, make sure you have clearances in your case and that you won't run into RAM clearance issues.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=432&Itemid=62

snip

Cogage can support three 120x38mm fans. I don't believe any other air cooler can accomplish this. The Noctua DH14 can support two 120x38mm fans with a third 120x25mm in the middle. Noctua and CoGage trade blows with each other and are the latest models that support 3 fans:

snip

There's one that supports 4 120*38mm fans...it's just a big block of fins with 4 120mm sides...I think scythe makes it, but I could be wrong...a search was fruitless.

That's the Scythe Mugen, but you have 4 fans, all four blowing or sucking air 90 degrees to two other fans, which is just going to get you a whole bunch of noise:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223632&highlight=mugen

2 fans in one direction is the only beneficial setup.

I think I've decided to go with the cogage arrow, and buy just 1 additional 120x38mm 3600rpm fan. How should I set these two fans up? One pushing one pulling? Both in one direction?

They should be working together to move air through the cooler and to the back of the case.

They should be working together to move air through the cooler and to the back of the case.

K, I'm somewhat confused about this push/pull system thing, Id rather just have both fans pulling hot air. I noticed the cogage arrow also supports 140x25mm fans. Would these provide better cooling than the 120x38mm fans? the 120x38mm fans are double the price of the 140x25mm. I've narrowed down the additional fans to buy to two options:

1. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233036

2.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5706038&cm_re=120x38mm-_-35-706-038-_-Product

Any help in choosing is greatly appreciated.

arrow.png

like that. Be aware, that 120*38 is gonna be loud, if you want something quieter, try dual scythe gentle typhoons (jab-tech has em at a great price)

arrow.png

like that. Be aware, that 120*38 is gonna be loud, if you want something quieter, try dual scythe gentle typhoons (jab-tech has em at a great price)

What exactly are the arrows pointing to? Sorry, I can't really tell.

EDIT: just found a post on the push pull system I think I get how it works. One fan pushes air through the radiator and the other fan pulls the hot air out, increasing air flow. Are the arrows representing the direction of air flow?

Last edited:
The arrows show the airflow direction. Generally, push/pull stands for having one fan pushing cool air into the heatsink and another fan pulling hot air out of the heatsink. For the Cogage Arrow you can use three fans, one on each end of the heatsink and one in the middle. Make sure all the fans are blowing in the same direction.

arrows are airflow...if i were talented in photoshop (or owned a copy of photoshop) I would've made it look like it is going through...alas, paint is my weapon of choice and, once again, it has failed me.

The arrows show the airflow direction. Generally, push/pull stands for having one fan pushing cool air into the heatsink and another fan pulling hot air out of the heatsink. For the Cogage Arrow you can use three fans, one on each end of the heatsink and one in the middle. Make sure all the fans are blowing in the same direction.

Will do! I'm going to buy a couple extra 120x38mm fans (thanks for the post on my other thread BTW). I have the sniper case and I'm a bit confused as to how I'd wire them... Do I plug all the fans into the mobo, and will I be able to control them with the switch on the case (the sniper has a switch that changes fan speeds). Also if I mess with the speed of fans by the switch on the case, can I use a program like Speedfan to automatically readjust the speeds based on temperature?

arrows are airflow...if i were talented in photoshop (or owned a copy of photoshop) I would've made it look like it is going through...alas, paint is my weapon of choice and, once again, it has failed me.

I know this is getting off topic but.... Theres a free photo editting software that I find to be the best free photoshop alternative. Its called gimp

Link to gimp:

http://www.gimp.org/

As ChanceCoats123 said below, talk of pirating of programs is forbidden on these boards. You get a free pass this time; next time will hurt! - muddocktor

Last edited by a moderator:
No pirating, or mention of it is allowed on this site. I won't report the post because you don't know better, but I would recommend you remove that from your post.

With that out of the way, I would either get a fan controller to mount in a 5.25inch drive bay, or plug the fans into your motherboard headers. On my motherboard, I can't use speedfan to adjust my speeds so I ended up going with the fan controller, but your motherboard may do a better job of it.

Bah, don't buy splitters, for the cost of 1 or 2 of them you can get a cheapie soldering iron that's good enough to solder them all together onto one connector....and for the cost of wire you can then make your lines as long as you want.

OFFTOPIC

No pirating, or mention of it is allowed on this site. I won't report the post because you don't know better, but I would recommend you remove that from your post.

Its a GNU license, as in free public license and not illegal nor against forum policy as far as I know. Gimp is a decent piece of software, Ive used it before.

ON TOPIC

They are all good coolers, its like asking what'S BETTER GOLD OR PLATINUM???
You definately have some knowledge. I think now its more a question of noise vs. performance. That said I'm a Thermalright fan.

OFFTOPIC

Its a GNU license, as in free public license and not illegal nor against forum policy as far as I know. Gimp is a decent piece of software, Ive used it before.

ON TOPIC

You definately have some knowledge. I think now its more a question of noise vs. performance. That said I'm a Thermalright fan.

That part wasn't the problem, it was what he posted below the GIMP part that I deleted that was the problem. Talk of piracy of programs is forbidden on these forums for legal reasons.

mudd

noise vs performance at low noise the d14 is the winner according to spcr. It's also got oodles of headroom for better fans from what i've seen and experienced with it, just like the true.

Back