• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best memory for asus p7p55d e-pro motherboard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kyushu

Registered
I'm thinking of using 8gb 4 sticks and I want to overclock my intel i7 875k to atleast 4.0 ghz. I just want whatever is compatible, stable and performs well when overclocked. I was thinking about the Kingston hyperx 8gb 4x2gb 1600mhz. But i'm not positive.

You'll have a harder time reaching a 4.0 GHz clock w/ all 4 DIMM slots populated and running 8 GB total, but depending on how much you want to spend I would go w/ either of these two sets of G.Skill (preferrably the PI series rated at 6-8-6-24 and 1.6V)...

G.SKILL PI 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL6Q-8GBPI
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231353

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7Q-8GBRM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231329

Dang. How much harder will it be with all slots filled? Twice as hard? Will the memory with the lower latency (6 vs 7) make it easier for me?

Kyushu said:
Dang. How much harder will it be with all slots filled? Twice as hard? Will the memory with the lower latency (6 vs 7) make it easier for me?
I mis-worded my post above, and instead should have said "You'll have a harder time reaching an effective DRAM frequency of DDR3-1600 w/ all 4 DIMM slots populated and running 8 GB total".

I would pick ram (specific part numbers) that are listed on the Qualified Vendor List for the mobo.
The memory QVL only lists the RAM that was tested, and tested successfully prior to the release of a particular board. There's no way for the MB manufacturer to test every available module from every RAM manufacturer, and they don't normally update the memory QVL if they happen to test RAM after the release of a board.

So I should stick with the 4gb g skill 2x2 gb 6 latency kit? I will be playing ffxiv a lot and it recommends 4gb and a minimum of 2gb. I just wanted to future proof and be safe by getting 8gb. I was thinking if i'm running ffxiv and it recommends 4gb and I am also running anti virus and ventrillo and maybe fraps, I would need more than 4gb of ram. Is that correct or is all that just using more of the CPU? When u say I won't use the effective 1600mhz of my ram do u mean my ram will run at a lower frequency and that will make the whole system slower?

Last edited:
The memory QVL only lists the RAM that was tested, and tested successfully prior to the release of a particular board. There's no way for the MB manufacturer to test every available module from every RAM manufacturer, and they don't normally update the memory QVL if they happen to test RAM after the release of a board.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware.

In regards to the MMORPG gaming, I think you would probably be better off with 8 gb of ram. You may not be able to overclock as high or use tight timings with 8 gb, but those MMORPG games love memory and will utilize it. If you only buy 4 gb, you may need to buy a whole new 8 gb matched set in a year or two. I'm not sure only speculating. I also suggest calling tech support at some of the MMORPG game manufacturers and asking them if the games can use 8 gb of ram. A corsair tech rep told me more ram is better than less faster ram for gaming, but im not sure if that is true.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking ><. Dang. Ok I'll go withthe 8gb g skill 4x2 6 latency. And overclock as best I can..
If anyone is running:
asus p7p55d e-pro motherboard
intel i7 875k at 4.0 or higher effectively/stable under load for 10+hours
G skill 4x2 gb 8 gb 1600 MHz 6 latency
Please let me know how

Last edited:
Here is an even better solution. Go with the asus p6x58d-e and the 930 cpu like mine. Then you can get 6 gb of ram which is stil decent for overclocking. This will also give you the ability to upgrade to 24 gb of ram later, and upgraded cpu's as well.

Is the 930 as good as the 875k?
What would be the best 6gb ram for that setup? Ideally I would like to run my CPU at 4.0 ghz with turbo boost on.
4 cores - 4.0
3 cores - 4.0 or 4.1 if possible
2 cores - 4.1 or more
1 core - 4.2

Is that realistic with my setup? Does that motherboard And CPU go with the rest of my setup?

Asus non-reference v2 ati radeon 5870- gpu
Corsair H70 push/pull as rear exhaust
Cooler Master Storm Sniper with 1-2 extra 120mm intake fans at front/top (5.25 drive bay). And 1 extra 120mm intake fan at very bottom facing up.
Corsair HX 850w - psu
Intel x-25 ssd 80gb - primary drive
Western digital caviar blue 500 gb 7,200 rpm HD - storage drive
Windows 7 home premium 64-bit - OS
Samsung PX2370 23" led/LCD 1920x1080 resolution - monitor

Last edited:
Is it ok if I get the d premium? I'd rather buy my motherboard from bestbuy and that's the closest one they have to the d-e

Ok how is this setup?

Intel i7 930
Asus P6X58D premium- motherboard
Asus non-reference v2 ati radeon 5870- gpu
Corsair xms3 ddr3 6gb 1600mhz CL7 - ram
Corsair H70 push/pull as rear exhaust
Cooler Master Storm Sniper with 1-2 extra 120mm intake fans at front/top (5.25 drive bay). And 1 extra 120mm intake fan at very bottom facing up.
Corsair HX 850w - psu
Crucial C300 ssd 64gb - primary drive
Western digital caviar blue 500 gb 7,200 rpm HD - storage drive
Windows 7 home premium 64-bit - OS
Samsung PX2370 23" led/LCD 1920x1080 resolution - monitor

Is it ok if I get the d premium? I'd rather buy my motherboard from bestbuy and that's the closest one they have to the d-e

bestbuy?

newegg man. dont waste your time at bestbuy. way over priced.

I got G Skill 1600 7-8-7-24 1.35V Eco ram and it is doing well for me. ( Linky ) Got them for $105. There was other sets but I went with the cheaper option.

For inital testing it went up to 1800 with some more voltage, like 1.45V if I remember, maybe a bit more. That's with keeping the 7-8-7-24 1T timings.

MB is P7P55D-E, and I5 760. Booted into windows at 4.3 and Prime'd a bit but just working on a 4.1GHz 24/7 clock just to keep the temps down (I am just gaming, not benching).

Anyways, when I was looking, I read a lot of good things about G Skill in general right now, including the 2 mentioned above.

Side note, during my MMORPG days I never hit more then 3.4GB of total ram usage, so I just went with 4GB this tiem around.

And yes, e-tailers will be much cheaper then Best Buy!! :thup:

Back