• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core temp questions (too high?)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyreally

Registered
New to OC. I started with: asus p6x58d premium mobo, i7-930 - stock cooling, 6g of kingston hyperx 1600ddr3, Antec two hundred case, average room temp 25 degrees celcius.

I wanted to overclock this new system a small amount (maybe to 3.2-3.8), so I decided to get a baseline. I ran Prime95 for 40mins and my core temps using Core Temp 0.99.7 looked like:

Core#0 - low 41 - high 89
Core#1 - low 38 - high 87
Core#2 - low 40 - high 87
Core#3 - low 35 - high 85
(low = startup and ave. temp; high= load 100%)

It seemed to me that full load temps of almost 90 degrees celcius was really high, so I decided that before I do any oc'ing, I would get a better cpu cooler. So I just bought a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 and I redid the same test (40min of Prime95) and I got:

Core#0 - low 39 - high 77
Core#1 - low 36 - high 76
Core#2 - low 39 - high 75
Core#3 - low 33 - high 72
(low = startup and ave. temp; high= load 100%)

So the aftermarket cooler did reduce the 100% load temps by 11-13 degrees, which is nice, but I was expecting something like 65 degrees (based on web posts).

Questions:
1) Is 77 degrees at full load too high (with the intention to oc)?
2) What type of heat increase should I expect when I oc from 2.8 (CPU-Z reads core speed 2989.9 x 22 multi - full load) to 3.2 or 3.8?
3) My low's are around the same temp (aftermarket vs stock)... is this normal having an ave temp of 10-15 degrees over room temp?

Thanks

Idle temps aren't as important since the aftermarket is going to do its best when its under load compared to the stock cooler.

Do you have your rear case fans on high/low?
Have you installed a second 120mm fan in the front of your case?
How is your wire management?
Have you run it at 100% load with side panel off to see if there is much of a drop?
Is your cooler fan set to run at 100% all the time?

A lot of questions I know but all of this is going to effect your temps.

At idle your temps are right next to mine, but the differences are: I know they aren't the same but the closet thing I have to yours someone may have a better match up.

Yours-------------------Mine
i7 930------------------i7-920
200---------------------1200 (Antec case)
U12P-------------------D-14
2990mhzFL-----------2806mhzFL
76C avg. load--------57C avg. load
36C avg. idle---------36C avg. idle
25C ambient---------24C ambient
Fan speed ????------Fan continues Full (CPU fan speed)

Last edited:
^^^what he said.

also, you may have a bad mount, those temps seem a bit high to me, try pushing on the cpu cooler and seeing if your temps drop. What tim did you use on this? How's your case airflow? Have you ninja'd your cables out of the way of your airflow? Is your case temp abnormally high? Try correcting some of that and see what you get, it'll be a starting point.

Another thing would be the video card, does your exhaust out the back or does it exhaust into the case? If its exhausting into the case this may be adding to the temps.

Taking the side off and testing will help you find out if its case air flow, also if your video card exhausts inside the case this would stop it from drawing in that heat while testing to narrow things down.

You could always go with a ghetto mod :😏:

ghettomodpq7.jpg

Thanks for the replys, heres the answers:

A: My guess is low, since I can barely hear them. How do I check my fan speeds? My bios doesn't have a "fan" setting listed...

A: Second? LOL... I don't recall putting any. This might be the biggest factor in the missing 5degrees? I don't see or feel any fans there either... ...

A: All wires are tucked in the corners and sides, so I'll say good.

Have you run it at 100% load with side panel off to see if there is much of a drop?

A: Just ran it again without the side panel, but my ambient room temp is 5 degrees lower... (forget to close the window last night).

Load 100%
Core0 = 72 (5 degree difference - minus 5 for room = 0 difference)
Core1 = 70 (6 degree difference - minus 5 for room = 1 difference)
Core0 = 69 (6 degree difference - minus 5 for room = 1 difference)
Core0 = 67 (5 degree difference - minus 5 for room = 0 difference)

Is my minus 5 degree assumption correct for this test?

A: Yes, all fans run 100% of the time.
Rear fan= exhaust out (closest to heatsink and the top of the gpu)
Top fan= exhaust out from cpu/heatsink
Cpu/Noc fan1 flow= takes from the front of the case into heatsink
Cpu/Noc fan2 flow= takes from heatsink towards the rear fan
Power box fan= upwards towards rear fan and gpu
Front fans.... :-(

Another thing would be the video card, does your exhaust out the back or does it exhaust into the case?

A: Radeon HD5850 fan points towards an empty space at the base of the case (but I think this is an intake fan) and the exhaust is pointing out of the rear of the case.

Thanks,

Well, I installed a scythe slip stream kaze-jyun (800rpm) in one of the front panels (I was going to put 2, but the bottom one would be 45% blocked by my harddrive) and gave the test another try. Unfortunately its still the same temps as this morning (except my room temp is now around 23 degrees):

Load 100%
Core0 = 72 ()
Core1 = 70 ()
Core0 = 69 ()
Core0 = 67 ()

Not sure if it is relevant but with all setups, core temp reports within the first 20seconds of Prime95, a big jump from normal 32-37degrees to almost 60 degrees.

I'm still 15-20degrees warmer them most people it seems... any suggestions?

Thanks,

Have you used a second program to compare temps? If not run RealTemp and see what you get.

Just redid Prime95 and Real Temp 3.40 shows the same temps as Core temp.
100% Load - Max Core Temp - Max Real Temp
Core0: 72c - 72c
Core1: 70c - 70c
Core2: 69c - 69c
Core3: 67c - 67c

I also installed speedfan 4.41 and it provided a little more info, but I don't how accurate it is, since it is showing 6 cores?:
At 100% load=
System: 35c
CPU: 56c ?? Is this what people are posting when they say their 100% load core temps? This drops to 23c after everything stops.
Aux: 36c
* speedfan doesn't show max, so I took the numbers right before I stopped prime95
Core0: 71c
Core1: 71c
Core2: 69c
Core3: 69c
Core4: 68c
Core5: 68c

Also interesting is that speedfan only shows 1 aux fan (1318rpm), so I guess I didn't install all my fans correctly? The 3 speed settings (speed01-03 all show 100%). Vcore: 1.26V, +12V: 10.98V, AVcc: 3.30V.

And this is at stock voltage? What thermal paste did you use? Did you try remounting hsf, or at least remove it to see what kind of contact you have?

Thanks for the replys, heres the answers:

A: My guess is low, since I can barely hear them. How do I check my fan speeds? My bios doesn't have a "fan" setting listed...

A: Second? LOL... I don't recall putting any. This might be the biggest factor in the missing 5degrees? I don't see or feel any fans there either... ...

A: All wires are tucked in the corners and sides, so I'll say good.

A: Just ran it again without the side panel, but my ambient room temp is 5 degrees lower... (forget to close the window last night).

Load 100%
Core0 = 72 (5 degree difference - minus 5 for room = 0 difference)
Core1 = 70 (6 degree difference - minus 5 for room = 1 difference)
Core0 = 69 (6 degree difference - minus 5 for room = 1 difference)
Core0 = 67 (5 degree difference - minus 5 for room = 0 difference)

Is my minus 5 degree assumption correct for this test?

A: Yes, all fans run 100% of the time.
Rear fan= exhaust out (closest to heatsink and the top of the gpu)
Top fan= exhaust out from cpu/heatsink
Cpu/Noc fan1 flow= takes from the front of the case into heatsink
Cpu/Noc fan2 flow= takes from heatsink towards the rear fan
Power box fan= upwards towards rear fan and gpu
Front fans.... :-(

Another thing would be the video card, does your exhaust out the back or does it exhaust into the case?

A: Radeon HD5850 fan points towards an empty space at the base of the case (but I think this is an intake fan) and the exhaust is pointing out of the rear of the case.

Thanks,

When I looked up your case it said there was a switch on the back to set the rear/top fan to low/high thats why I asked about what speed you had those set at.

When I looked up your case is said it has one 120mm fan in the front (room for a second one) having a fan blow air over the hard drive is a good thing.

As far as full speed, I meant do you have smart fan enabled in the bios which will control the cpu fan speed or is it disabled for full fan speed to give the most air.

Everything is set to auto in bios, so normal core volt is around .944 and goes up to 1.264V at full load (using CPU-Z).

I used the Noctua NT-H1 premium thermal compound.

Unscrewed the heatsink to look at the chip and it looks like the pic/video on the web (thin layer/semi transparent, circle of compound covering most of the chip).

Everything is set to auto in bios, so normal core volt is around .944 and goes up to 1.264V at full load (using CPU-Z).

I used the Noctua NT-H1 premium thermal compound.

Unscrewed the heatsink to look at the chip and it looks like the pic/video on the web (thin layer/semi transparent, circle of compound covering most of the chip).

If you have paste on the edges but not in the middle that would point to a uneven hs base, which would mean higher then normal temps as hsf is not making full contact. If you have good contact, next step might be trying a bit stronger fans on the hs.

no one's mentioned this yet, so i will, the scythe slipstream is a piece of junk. It's numbers are horribly inflated and it performs nowhere near what it claims...i can't imagine one of them running at 800 is doing you hardly any good, it's better than nothing though.

When I looked up your case it said there was a switch on the back to set the rear/top fan to low/high thats why I asked about what speed you had those set at.

When I looked up your case is said it has one 120mm fan in the front (room for a second one) having a fan blow air over the hard drive is a good thing.

As far as full speed, I meant do you have smart fan enabled in the bios which will control the cpu fan speed or is it disabled for full fan speed to give the most air.

Thank for the additional info, the crap I got in the antec box wasn't as good as your info/pdf info for the web.

I did a little more seraching and they were on low, now on high. I'll retest when I have a little more time.

Unfortunately, I only had rear and top. I had to add a new one, but that didn't make much of a difference (if any difference).

Smartfan is disabled.

If you have paste on the edges but not in the middle that would point to a uneven hs base, which would mean higher then normal temps as hsf is not making full contact. If you have good contact, next step might be trying a bit stronger fans on the hs

I think its good, but since I'm running out of choices (that don't require me to spend more money). I'll redo the hs and retest tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!

Your case has the ability to put 2 front fans in according to their site, the site that I dug up some info said it had one in the front so I was going off of that. Your video card exhausts the air out the back of the case. You may want to consider putting one or two fans in the front of the case helping to push some cooler air in, with the other fans set on medium or high this should also help get rid of the warm air in the case.

The case has filters in the front and they restrict air flow some so additional fans will help there also, My wife's system is in a Antec 1200 and the filters get dirty pretty fast so you will want to keep an eye on those and keep them clean to keep good air flow.

antec200-copy.jpg

Last edited:
I have added 1 front fan, turn the top and rear fans to high, reapplied TIM on the HS, and redid Prime95:

Load 100%, 23C ambient
Core0 = 68
Core1 = 65
Core0 = 65
Core0 = 62

Its slightly better now (4-5c better), but still around 13degrees hotter then CgS Drone. Maybe I'll try adding another front fan and/or maybe exchange the scythe slip stream kaze-jyun (800rpm) for the 3000rpm one I saw at the store (but I don't "feel" that the front fans could realisticly drop the core temps by 10c)

I'm going to look this up, but I'll post it anyways... how do I know if the Noctua or Scythe fans are running high/medium/low? They don't have switches and they just run 100% of time. Maybe I plugged them in wrong or something...?

What comes to mind is, I'll try to figure out which 3pin slot (on mobo) I attached the noctua on and try to increase the volts to that slot, to make it go faster...

Thanks,

Don't expect to get the exact same results as drone, you're on different equipment, even if the model numbers are the same. Look up what a batch of processors is and you'll understand this a bit better...but the temp differences between batches can be as much as 15c in some case from golden to trash.

Back