• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ThermalRight TR-TY140 fan, a new good noise/performance 140mm fan ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bing

Low Profile Senior
.​
While reading excellent X-BitLabs review on the battle of the two HS giants, linky -> Thermalright Silver Arrow vs. Noctua NH-D14

Aside from the cooling performance comparison on this two giant heatsinks, what interest me is the new TR-TY140 fan, from the chart below, although Noise/CFM figures only without the static pressure, it looks like it blows Noctua NF-P14FLX out of the water in term of noise/performance, and it is PWM too. (4 wires fan) :thup:

02_sa_fans_small.jpg

Linky straight to TR page on TY140 -> CLICK , too bad they don't provide any static pressure number. :rolleyes:

27_dnoise(xbt)_small.png
Courtesy of XbitLabs​

The chart is at page 5 here -> CLICK or straight to the bigger pic of above chart here -> CLICK

What do you think ? or has anyone already using this fan ?

Last edited:
temps look about the same for less noise...I never particularly liked the big fan on the d14 though, it has a real whine to it that just irked me (until I undervolted it into silence :D)

temps look about the same for less noise...I never particularly liked the big fan on the d14 though, it has a real whine to it that just irked me (until I undervolted it into silence :D)

Yeah, thats what I'm interested, since the Noctua NF-P14FLX which with those unique blade design that supposed to reduce noise, while this new TR fan blades looks like just using standard blade design.

I have two of this Noctua 140mm too, honestly to my ear they're not that noisy though, but not that silent as I was expected before I bought it.

Just ordered few of this TY-140 fans, let see if it works as it advertised.

Yeah, thats what I'm interested, since the Noctua NF-P14FLX which with those unique blade design that supposed to reduce noise, while this new TR fan blades looks like just using standard blade design.

I have two of this Noctua 140mm too, honestly to my ear they're not that noisy though, but not that silent as I was expected before I bought it.

Just ordered few of this TY-140 fans, let see if it works as it advertised.

yea, my friend has a d14 and he completely reoutfitted his case with GT's and I was stunned to discover that I could hear the 140mm at full speed over 6 gt1850's at full speed...that said, it had a different tone from the gt's, which may have made its noise profile seem a bit higher, and gt's are gt's...they don't cost $14 a pop for nothing.

yea, my friend has a d14 and he completely reoutfitted his case with GT's and I was stunned to discover that I could hear the 140mm at full speed over 6 gt1850's at full speed...that said, it had a different tone from the gt's, which may have made its noise profile seem a bit higher, and gt's are gt's...they don't cost $14 a pop for nothing.

No doubt, GT is different league and unique compared to other fans, wonder if Nidec is planning to make the 140mm version, that will be awesome.

Currently there are not so many choices for good 140mm fan, while the trend of using 140 mm sized fan is getting more popular nowdays in new released HS or for case cooling.

My order should be arrived tomorrow, will post few pics or interesting new findings if any here.

I know nidec makes a 2150 that scythe doesn't carry because...well I don't know why scythe doesn't carry them, I do know that you can buy the 2150 direct from nidec though...you have to order a ton at once though.

I think that 140mm fans are a different beast, with lower rpms you have higher tip speeds and thus you have to be able to more effectively reduce the wooshing off the blades, even at lower rpms...this is all just my hypothesising, I don't know anything about aerodynamics or anything like that...I'd like to see how the longer blades affect static pressure too, I feel like it would have a negative impact because the motor would have to work harder, the hubs are bigger though...I needa get my hands on a 140mm yate and a 120mm yate and do some comparisons.

Just got it today, give me a day or two, will report how this new kid on the block performs.

Shot with Noctua NF-P14 as physical comparison.

P TY-140 & P14.jpg

Oooh, I like that blade design....looks like it's got some muscle behind it for good static pressure. One thing I notice (or think I notice) is that the noctua fan has much less clearance to the side of the casing than the tr one does, can you confirm that? I believe that this leads to less ducting and thus less static pressure, but I'm not sure how much it matters with such a small channel for the air.

Brief update !

This fan is really silent, to my ear at max speed around 1300 rpm, it has the calm low freq hum and almost no bearing noise, overall it is far better than Noctua P-14.

Also the P-14 has the obvious noise starting around 1000 rpm and above.

Cooling performance wise, I'd say they similar or equal, but on the noise per performance ratio, hands down on TY-140. :thup:

The unusual thickness and non symetrical size 160 x 140 mm.

jb4qk6.jpg

The "chipped tip" blade design, prolly this improves the noise. Any aerodynamics expert want to comment bout this ?

11gt7ut.jpg

Good news for D-14 owner, this fan can slip thru easily (even with the pad) in the middle between the two towers. Unfortunately can't use the fan clip from Noctua since its thicker. :sly:

205r5ep.jpg

Pretty short cable, about 25 cm.

24erpqq.jpg

Subjectively, these three TY-140s noise, all combine at full speed, are better than two Noctua P-14, pretty impressive I'd say. :clap:

2d1pnrr.jpg

Last edited:
Nice writeup, bing.:thup: BTW, get you a couple of sets of Megahalems 25 mm fan clips for the outside fans to hold them on or just thin out the TR fan flanges a little bit with a dremel tool so you can use the stock Noctua mounts. Just enough to be able to stick the Noctua wire clips through those plastic pins.

Thanks Mud, yes, I'm going to order few those Megahalem's fan clip, they're quite handy when mounting fan at the D14.

In my industry that aero blade design is known as "cut back blade" its design purpose is to increase dynamic air pressure without increasing RPM. The side affect is it will have a smaller optimum operating window of efficiency which can be seen on your graphs which tells rest of the story. Actually bit of a old design really i have some 10yr old 80mm thermaltakes on my dual cpu server with exactly same design very silent and keeps peak load temps below 55c in 30c room

The "chipped tip" blade design, prolly this improves the noise. Any aerodynamics expert want to comment bout this ?

In my industry that aero blade design is known as "cut back blade" its design purpose is to increase dynamic air pressure without increasing RPM. The side affect is it will have a smaller optimum operating window of efficiency which can be seen on your graphs which tells rest of the story. Actually bit of a old design really i have some 10yr old 80mm thermaltakes on my dual cpu server with exactly same design very silent and keeps peak load temps below 55c in 30c room

Hey Ingleburt, thanks, so are you saying without that cut back blade, the static pressure actually will be weaker at the same rpm ? That is interesting !

Hey Ingleburt, thanks, so are you saying without that cut back blade, the static pressure actually will be weaker at the same rpm ? That is interesting !

In most scenarios yes.

Without getting too technical dynamic pressure is more useful figure to work with as this tells you its optimum operating window or range under specific criteria in this case noise Vs temperature.

The best current efficient blade design involves layers of smaller blades enclosed inside a pressure body or shroud which enhances amount of volume moved per rpm however it has small operating window which dictates use of higher rpm that shift considerably more air for less noise. Therefore its very difficult to compare against other fans using common criteria.

I saw yesterday that it looks like Performance PCs has these fans in stock now, and at a pretty decent price point of $13 too. I might have to pick up a couple some time in the future for testing purposes.

Thanks for the link..I ordered two for my new Ultra 120 rev c black...this combo will work right?? And how do I get two fans on one board connection??

Thanks for the link..I ordered two for my new Ultra 120 rev c black...this combo will work right?? And how do I get two fans on one board connection??

You can make it work, but these are 140mm fans, and you have a HS designed to accept 120mm fans. You'll have to use zip-ties or rubber bands to hold it on there.

You'll need a 4-pin splitter to plug both of these to the same header. Something like this would work, but I prefer to build my own.

http://www.svc.com/fc444pwm-12.html

The clips just might possibly work jason, since it's hole spacing is supposed to be the same as a 120 mm fan I believe.

It might work, but I still don't think it's a great idea. The TRUE (at least my version) has a lip on the edge of the HS, and there are dampening strips that attach to the HS on the inside of this edge. A 120mm fan fits right in there snug. I would imagine a 140mm fan would slide around easily. Plus the extra fan blade area is going to be blowing air around the HS instead of through it. These tight-finned HS's like pressure, and my guess is that 140mm fans would give inferior performance to 120mm fans on this particular HS.

I got my Silver Arrow in the other day and have been very happy with the TY140 fans that came with it. The way I saw it choosing between the Venomous X Black @ $60
and the Silver Arrow @ $80 was the Venomous would actually cost more after buying two decent fans for it.

The weight of the bearing feels a little less robust than my S-Flex's though. I assumed that they were FDB's since Thermalright sells a line of FDB fans but it's listed as a hyper-flow bearing...whatever that is.

Back