• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge / Southbridge

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Assuming you meant "coolers," as long as the cooler can be mounted it will work.

Assuming you meant "coolers," as long as the cooler can be mounted it will work.

Right now, my current southbrigde heat sink is just a basic one, its really over heating due to air circulation problems in my case, can you guys recommend one that is good but not to expensive? maybe with a fan, one that sticks out from the chip and sucks are and shots it out ina direction is widely recommend i was looking into this one but cannot find any benchmarks on it

http://www.directron.com/ttccsc31tz.html

First of all you'll need to fix the air circulating problem in your case. Won't matter if you get the best cooler for the NB/SB. If you have poor airflow thru the case, it will be a waste.

First of all you'll need to fix the air circulating problem in your case. Won't matter if you get the best cooler for the NB/SB. If you have poor airflow thru the case, it will be a waste.

That is being taken care of, but over heating South bridge chip, is one of the two problems, I cant get perfect airflow but a heatsink with a fan would make it a lot better with both working together

if I may ask you guys can post some links of some ones you recommend for a

asRock 890FX Deluxe3 Motherboard

Im new to southbridge heatsinks

That is being taken care of, but over heating South bridge chip, is one of the two problems, I cant get perfect airflow but a heatsink with a fan would make it a lot better with both working together

You missed my point. If you want better/lower temps on the NB & SB spots, for the NB cooler to effectively do it's job better, you need better airflow thru the case.

By switching out the NB cooler to an aftermarket cooler without addressing the airflow problem, that new NB cooler will NOT do it's job. What it will do is keep dumping the hot air it's supposed to take away back into the system. Thus rendering that new NB cooler useless.

You can test my theory out by just adding a small fan to the mobo's NB sink and see for yourself. No need to spend any money buying a new cooler.

thanks ill look into it, do u have any other like it but smaller? and maybe a fan?

You missed my point. If you want better/lower temps on the NB & SB spots, for the NB cooler to effectively do it's job better, you need better airflow thru the case.

By switching out the NB cooler to an aftermarket cooler without addressing the airflow problem, that new NB cooler will NOT do it's job. What it will do is keep dumping the hot air it's supposed to take away back into the system. Thus rendering that new NB cooler useless.

You can test my theory out by just adding a small fan to the mobo's NB sink and see for yourself. No need to spend any money buying a new cooler.

I understand, but NB has a nice fan/ heatsink built in, SB does not, only cheat small silver heatsink, but video card blocks air flow, which i fixed but to be safe i want a heatsink for the sb

If this is your board ,and your NB/SB seem to be overheating, then my suggestion would be to remove the board from the case and remove both the NB & SB. Clean off the crap thermal gum off the sinks and chips. Apply some some fresh AS5 thermal goo and remount the sinks back on.

You can also swap the fan on the NB with something with more CFM. Something like this or something from this set .

You're having overheating issues on an Amd board?!?! Those southbridges have like 10 watt TPD's! :eek: You must have a vacuum in your case (and I mean the molecule-less kind, not a cleaning kind).

Intel ICH7 TDP is a whopping 3.3w, i had one that overheated despite being clean and having decent case airflow.
A 40mm fan over it fixed that right up.

Mine is just hearsay. Bobnova's seems a little more concrete though. :shrug: Sorry. But they do have pretty damn low TPD's. I can't believe even a small heatsink would allow them to over heat. (shows what I know) But like Bobnova mentioned, something as simple as a 40 mm fan can fix an issue like that.

Google :D
a search for ICH7 TDP gives the intel datasheet (which has it in there somewhere), and a link to a silentpcreview forum topic that has a link to this topic: Intel Chipset TDPs

The nice thing is that the term TDP isn't used for much of anything else.

EDIT:
Meanwhile, wikipedia has a chart of AMD chipsets that happen to include the TDP for the SB810 and SB850, 4w for both.

What are the symptoms of a overheating southbridge anyway? :confused:
I believe the USB/SATA (plus other buses) go through that. It is an important part of the computer and would cause some very strange issues if it overheated.

Granted, I've never actually heard of someone having issues because it runs too hot, but I guess it could be a possibility.

/agreed, it would be strange/flaky issues with USB and/or SATA devices. But, same here...never heard of that actually overheating given the small heat footprint.

When mine (intel platform) was overheating i got hard reboots randomly.
All embedded IO and rear ports (excluding graphics) go through the SB, plus (on intel at least) it has a direct line of communication to the cpu that bypasses the NB.

Back