• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new amd chips next week

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ScrewySqrl

Anyone have an opinion on the new OEM AMD Phenom II X4 970 BE?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...cessors_to_Refresh_Back_to_School_Lineup.html

from what I'm reading, it's supposed to be an X6 with 2 cores turned off, and its due to hit Sept 21 with aproce point around $200-ish

My questions: would this be a good multi-purpose chip: unlock 6 cores for heavy multithreading like Photoshop, DivX encoding, or 3D Rendering on Maya or 3D Studio, then lock the extra cores, leaving 4 cores at 3.5 ghz (or faster, it is a Black Edition?) for faster gaming performance. 6 cored would probably need to be underclocked for heat purposes.

it sounds like it should work out as a good multi-purpose build, or is is just too good to be true?
eg: how likely am I to a) find this oem chip, b) unlock the 5th/6th core?

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...cessors_to_Refresh_Back_to_School_Lineup.html

from what I'm reading, it's supposed to be an X6 with 2 cores turned off, and its due to hit Sept 21 with aproce point around $200-ish

My questions: would this be a good multi-purpose chip: unlock 6 cores for heavy multithreading like Photoshop, DivX encoding, or 3D Rendering on Maya or 3D Studio, then lock the extra cores, leaving 4 cores at 3.5 ghz (or faster, it is a Black Edition?) for faster gaming performance. 6 cored would probably need to be underclocked for heat purposes.

it sounds like it should work out as a good multi-purpose build, or is is just too good to be true?

Would be a great multi purpose CPU. Chances are it's just a Thuban 6 core with two cores turned off. In which case I would expect 4ghz on most decent air setups...thats with all six cores. They run colder than the 955s & 965s.

Chances of unlocking one, I dunno, 50-50...if you have the board to do it.

I would expect this chip to have a high percentage of dead cores being that it's an OEM chip not retail.
Unlockable retail chips are wonderful PR.
Unlockable OEM chips are cpus they could have sold for $300 instead of $200.

Would be a great multi purpose CPU. Chances are it's just a Thuban 6 core with two cores turned off. In which case I would expect 4ghz on most decent air setups...thats with all six cores. They run colder than the 955s & 965s.

Chances of unlocking one, I dunno, 50-50...if you have the board to do it.

Why does it sound like an X6-2 in your opinion?

Why does it sound like an X6-2 in your opinion?

Good point, I read that paragraph from the article a little too quickly. It does look like it will be Deneb...a true 4 core. I thought they said it was an expansion of the Thuban lineup...including a 4 core. Wow, I can't believe that. The 965s run so hot I'm surprised they are adding another 100mhz to it. That and I just don't understand why, the Thubans are so much better, way cooler running and with a better memory controller. Hmmm. :shrug:

Other than a few sample 960 procs not in the US I don't think there are any X6=X4 that will be on the market.

wouldnt it be better to spend $200 on the guaranteed 6 cores of the 1055T?
Maybe for OC'ers like us but 99.9+% of the people out there don't even know what OC'ing is and only 1% of them would actually do it if it was explained to them. For most of those people a 3.5 GHz X4 is much better than a 2.8/3.2 GHz X6 ...

Maybe for OC'ers like us but 99.9+% of the people out there don't even know what OC'ing is and only 1% of them would actually do it if it was explained to them. For most of those people a 3.5 GHz X4 is much better than a 2.8/3.2 GHz X6 ...

oh okay :D im gonna do the same thing when i buy a Phenom II X2 555 BE this weekend. hopefully i can unlock to quad core, but ill only do it when needed as most of the time im gonna need the higher clock speeds at dual core :D

is it possible to disable cores to get a higher overclock speed? so say like for this quad core 970, disable two cores to make a it a dual core then even reach higher overclock speeds?

btw the 970 is $189 at newegg, so ~$11 cheaper than the 1055T :D

Disabling cores on a quad has been tried but yields no better results.

The "unlocked quads", overall, clock lower as quads because, in the end, they can't pass a quad core test at the factory. A 555BE doesn't overclock any better than it's 955BE quad-core brother giving adequate cooling for both ...

Back