• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing Win2K, problem formatting?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mithian

Registered
I went to switch from WinXP to Win2K today, but I think I'm having a problem... First let me tell you what I did, then I'll tell you what the problem is.

Okay, first I backed up all the stuff I wanted off of my 40gig partition and put it on my 20gig partition. Then I went to format the 40gig, but I'd never done this in WinXP. After a while I looking around for a good way to do it I decided that I might as well just let the Win2K installation do it for me..

So, I put in the Win2K CD and rebooted. When prompted about partitions I simply deleted the 40gig partition and recreated it as NTFS and told it sure, go ahead and format... It seemed to have no problems and formatted the drive while I played Super Mario World for the SNES. :)

When it was done formatting I went to start installation. I answered all the questions and got up to Insert your Name and Organization. When I went to type..... nothing. For some reason it didn't like the keyboard. I checked the connection and it was fine. I decided maybe it didn't like my KVM so, I unplugged it and tried again -- not expecting any Windows OS to let me do this (which it did not). So, I decided no problem I'll just reboot again and try it again.

So I rebooted again and told it to install and to ignore the NTFS partition already there (ie, don't try to repair the currently installation) and to simply format the 40gig again so I could do it fresh. It proceeded to format and got to 100% done... and... sits there.

So, thinking that is didn't like to start from scratch and might prefer to repair I tried that... nothing.

Then I decided to format the space again as FAT32 and just start over...

I put the Win2K CD in, reboot, tell it to format as NTFS and it does, but again when it gets to 100% it just sits there.

So, I'm sitting here looking at this blue screen telling me its 100% done formatting, and all I can tell is that its reading from the CD drive every once in a while. It doesn't appear that the HDD light is flashing on and off and the HD sounds quiet.

Anyway, so does anyone have any opinions? I've let it sit here for about 15-20 minutes due to suggestion from Thelemac that maybe it simply doesn't calculate % done correctly, but.. it seems like it is taking much, much, much longer than the first time when it simply didn't like the keyboard for some reason..

Okay, so, if you need more input on the system or what I did, feel free to ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd really like to get back to using my computer. LOL.

Thanks in advance,
Mithian

Okay, so scratch that.. I think I got that part fixed (not being able to format or get the install started)... I think the CD was just dirty becuase all I did was clean it.. weird.

But now I'm back to it not detecting my keyboard at all. Its plugged in, and I can use it during the bootup process, like press any key to boot from CD or make changes like that, but as soon as it gets into 2K and starts doing installation, it doesn't work.

*sighs* I should stick to Linux. LOL.

So, anyone know anything about this new-ish problem I'm having?

Mithian

No its not. It detects my USB mouse, but when I put the lil USB to PS2 converter on it no longer detects my mouse.

Its weird though, that even if I boot into repair console I can type and use my mouse, but the second I get back into installation no mouse unless its USB and no keyboard at all. :(

Mithian

Allright, for the sake of sharing information....

I have absolutely no idea *why* it was doing what it was doing. I think it was because it was detecting the regular PS/2 Mouse port and wanting to have a mouse there and for whatever reason having a mouse there made it not like the keyboard. I've never had this problem before with anything.

My solution was to unplug the mouse (have neither PS/2 or USB mouse plugged in), reboot, and re-install.

Then using the keyboard I entered in all the information.

When it was installed and complete I logged in, popped the USB mouse in and it worked, then I went and disabled the PS/2 mouse in the device list and it worked fine.

However, if I left the PS/2 mouse enabled and rebooted it wouldn't detect the keyboard, and it would always detect the PS/2 mouse port apon reboot, so the only thing I could do was disable it. *shrug*

Not an ideal solution, as it means I can't _ever_ use a PS/2 mouse with Win2K -- or at least, not use a PS/2 mouse AND a keyboard.. lol.. but at least it works.

So, just thought I'd share the resolution with you all. :)

Mithian

i kinda had a similar problem, but w/ my mouse, i have both usb keyboard and mouse. I installed 2k, and it wudnt detect my mouse unless i moved it around when booting 2k. So it was suggested that i install 2k w/ all ps/2 devices. Worked great, then i installed my usb stuff as per the instructions w/ them.

Back