• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Startup Hangs on "Starting Windows" - Windows 7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ytpconquer

I recently tried installing a tv tuner card in my PC, and decided I didn't want it so I removed it. However, in my stupidity, I removed the card before uninstalling it in windows, or uninstalling the programs. Now, when I turn on the PC it hangs at the "Starting Windows" screen. The little dots that form the microsoft logo never show up and I'm forced to restart. When I restart, it goes to the problem with start up screen, and I can either try and fix the problem, or start windows normally. Interestingly, if I choose to start windows normally, it usually works. If I try to repair the problem, it says no problem found.

I have tried uninstalling the drivers in windows, and more drastically, done a system image restore to a few weeks before I installed the card. There is now no trace of the tuner in the registry or HDDs, but the problem still persists. I can get into safe mode and get into regular windows if I select it on the startup error screen, but I cannot get into windows normally from a cold boot. I tried clearing the CMOS in addition to restoring the C: Drive to an older image, but I'm still hanging at "Starting Windows."

I really don't want to reinstall windows and lose everything on the C: drive, is there anything else I can do to fix this?

BTW, I found a thread which is pretty similar to my problem, but I haven't been able to find a clear cut solution.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com...f/thread/e39d152d-d5e8-4b88-a7f8-9fc83203ce58

I dunno, but it may be a bad HDD. Sorry. :(

Bad HDDs can do strange things. They can look good in tests, but cause Windows to fail.

I had this same problem but with a wireless adapter. All I did was install then uninstall with the card still in the slot then a shutdown to remove the card and waalaa. Try it and see it worked. Also run CCleaner's registry tool what Wathnix suggested.

Back