• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Corsair HX1000 1000W Enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiru

Heya,

I'm planning on adding another GTX480 into my current gaming rig I just built a week ago for SLI. Was wondering if the current PSU I'm using in the rig will suffice?

Corsair HX1000 1000W PSU
Intel Core i7-950 (OC @ 4.02ghz)
Coolermaster Haf X Tower
Asus Rampage III Extreme
Corsair A70
3x 2gb Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 RAM
eVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX480
2x WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM SATA2 in Raid0
Windows 7 Ultimate

I don't plan on doing any major overclocking on the GPUs so let's just say they'll be at stock speed if not a bit upped.

Last edited:
as barest minimum.
myself i want more headroom than that. In SLI isnt it true that some games do not push the SECOND card to the max limits? so that might be sufficent headroom?

Also you told of the speed your running your I7 but when you speaka De Power its the ammount that you raise the voltage that will start really sucking down the watts there.
then if you got 7 fans going full bore, you could have 40W there.

i would say it would fully operate, mabey have starting issues at the most, but then pushing it non-stop for months and months like that, aspects of the psu might weaken a bit, and you will basically know it.

Last edited:
That would be just fine and allow plenty of overclocking headroom as well. The TDP on that card is 250W. 250W x2 = 500W. Your CPU is likely pulling 200W also at that speed. That leaves 300W for other incidentals. If you have 7 fans at 40W they must be some powerful fans (which I know if the HAF-x they are not .5A fans), otherwise cut that in half.

Again you will be just fine with plenty of headroom. You will need another setup before the PSU craps out on you.

yup that is what the other power stats are showing full systems, that with ONE it is less than 500W at full bore.

so that just leaves the power supply being made in china :)

ok here it is, i knew i saw it somewhere.

a whine from amazon
""This is not actually a 1000W power supply. It is 2 500W power supplies in on package. This means that you cannot run a MoBo with 2 x GTX295s in SLI off of just this supply because each card draws about 300W.""

Then HOW seperate is it? 2 different 12V lines.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HX1000W-Power-Supply-Review/484/5

So Auspitious use of the available power, might be a wise thing, then asurance would be granted, meaning hook the motherboard and the 2nd gpu on one PSU, and the Main GPU on the other one?

and unlike other HX models this model is made by a different manufacture

i donno, or how important that would be, but it might be a good thing to know, it was interesting to me.

This means that you cannot run a MoBo with 2 x GTX295s in SLI off of just this supply because each card draws about 300W.""
Thats not true. Period.

It is 2 seperate 12v rails but you can run 2 295's on it no problem...

That PSU is one of the top PSU's in its wattage class and is fine.

Last edited:
its in the book, i have never hooked up a split one
but heck its right on the side of the supply
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/fullimage.php?image=13395

and you SHOULD still be able to get the motherboard and one GPu running off of one side indeed.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HX1000W-Power-Supply-Review/484/6
none of the reviews have stated that they tie it together to be used as ONE big fat amp line.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-HX1000W-Power-Supply-Review/484/7
the testing is also done as 2 seperate lines.

so i cant assemble any way that it it IS one fat line, untill somone ties the rails,
""and we didn’t want to mix +12V1 and +12V2 rails.""
WHY? they are going to the same computer, and can get mixed up somehwere anyways, so what really would be the problem with linking the 2 lines together?

Last edited:
Psyco, please. Its a multi rail PSU like many many others out there. It will run his system JUST FINE. Now lets stop carrying on about a non issue.

Psyco, please. Its a multi rail PSU like many many others out there. It will run his system JUST FINE. Now lets stop carrying on about a non issue.

i just want to understand this stuff, before i would go to use it myself.
Which of the 750 and 850 power supplys use fully seperated power lines, every one that i have had apart the lines are tied together?

all the normal power ones i have been following at Johney gurus dissasembly have been tied.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3264
""There are a very few power supplies which truly have multiple independent
+12V outputs.""

""The assumption that each individual connector with a +12V lead is on its own rail is not uncommon. But the fact of the matter is that there may be several connectors all using the same +12V rail"".

then just to add to my confusion they are classing some as "virtual" rails.

ok ok i got it
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3990

What is "multiple +12V rails", really?

In most cases, multiple +12V rails are actually just a single +12V source just split up into multiple +12V outputs each with a limited output capability.

There are a few units that actually have two +12V sources, but these are typically very high output power supplies. And in most cases these multiple +12V outputs are split up again to form a total of four, five or six +12V rails for even better safety. To be clear: These REAL multiple +12V rail units are very rare and are all 1000W+ units (Enermax Galaxy, Topower/Tagan "Dual Engine", Thermaltake Tough Power 1000W & 1200W, for example.)

The bottom line is, for 99% of the folks out there single vs. multiple +12V rails is a NON ISSUE. It's something that has been hyped up by marketing folks on BOTH SIDES of the fence. Too often we see mis-prioritized requests for PSU advice: Asking "what single +12V rail PSU should I get" when the person isn't even running SLI!

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input, is there a program/application I can use to monitor the power consumption being used (So maybe I can monitor my power usage at peak)? Either way, I will try putting the GTX480 in and see how well the PSU fairs and decide if i need to upgrade to maybe a 1200W.

Also if I add the GTX480 into the current set up I have, will I have to make adjustments to my overclocked CPU settings to accommodate the new card?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the input, is there a program/application I can use to monitor the power consumption being used (So maybe I can monitor my power usage at peak)? Either way, I will try putting the GTX480 in and see how well the PSU fairs and decide if i need to upgrade to maybe a 1200W.

Also if I add the GTX480 into the current set up I have, will I have to make adjustments to my overclocked CPU settings to accommodate the new card?

Thanks!

You'll be just fine unless you go crazy overclocking the 480s. They really start to suck down juice when you push them. If you want to monitor power use, grab yourself a Kill-a-Watt.

You'll be just fine unless you go crazy overclocking the 480s. They really start to suck down juice when you push them. If you want to monitor power use, grab yourself a Kill-a-Watt.

Okay, thanks alot. I'll try looking for a Kill-a-Watt thing to plug into the outlet :D

In the paragraphs above the charts it states:

The four result values are as following:

Idle: Windows Vista Aero sitting at the desktop (1280x1024 32-bit) all windows closed, drivers installed. Card left to warm up in idle until power draw is stable.

Average: 3DMark03 Nature at 1280x1024, 6xAA, 16xAF. This results in the highest power consumption. Average of all readings (12 per second) while the test was rendering (no title screen).

Peak: 3DMark03 Nature at 1280x1024, 6xAA, 16xAF. Highest single reading during the test.

Maximum: Furmark Stability Test at 1280x1024, 0xAA. This results in a very high non-game power consumption that can typically be reached only with stress testing applications. Card left running stress test until power draw converged to a stable value.

Blu-Ray Playback: Power DVD 9 Ultra is used at a resolution of 1920x1200 to play back the Batman: The Dark Knight disc with GPU acceleration turned on. Playback starts around timecode 1:19 which has the highest data rates on the BD with up to 40 Mb/s. Playback left running until power draw converged to a stable value.

Those numbers don't include the CPU/etc. Add 100ish for a stock clocks 920, at 4ghz
probably more like 170-200 (depends on the 920).

Something to note: If you start raising the voltage to the GPUs power consumption goes up a lot.

Back