• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Abandon

Registered
Hey guys. Havn't been getting the answer that I want from PCworld, so came here for some suggestions...

I just built my PC. Some parts are a little old, but it was on my budget. Here are the specs.

Mainboard : BIOSTAR Group 945GC-M4
Chipset : Intel i945G/GZ
Processor : Intel Celeron D 325 @ 2533MHz (I have a new one in the mail, it's a northwood Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz)
Physical Memory : 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
Hard Disk : Maxtor 6L160P0 (160GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8801
Monitor Type : ProView Technology - 17 inches
Network Card : Realtek Semiconductor RTL8101 PCIe Fast Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 3 (32-bit)
DirectX : Version 9.0c (May 2010)

Yes, old parts (Motherboard and CPU).

So, I got a new case. An Armor A90 Thermaltake, figuring it would help cooling from my old original Dell case. But that apparently wasn't the case. The A90 has a top and back exhaust, and a small front intake. My CPU did NOT have a fan on it... Dell doesn't do that apparently. It was just the heat sink. So I went to frys and bought the only 478 fan/sink they had (RT2-M12). But, the retention plate didn't fit it, so I ghetto rigged with Hot glue (The only part the hot glue is touching is the retention plate, and metal piece holding the copper heatsink onto the fan), and it worked. The thermal and CPU are touching as they should be. (Anyone know where I can get the correct retention plate for a Thermaltake 478 pin sink?).

Anyways... watching speedfan and some other monitoring programs, my CPU gets hot. Even when not under load. Typing this right now, with RainMeter, WinAmp, and this page up, my speedfan reads:

Temp3(CPU): 49c
HDD: 32c
GPU:32c
Core:32c

Under load (CoD4, WoW, Fallout3), my CPU pushes 60. The hottest I've seen it was 63c. The GPU and core push 55c.

To counter these temps, I've taken off the side of the case and put a fan on low blowing into the computer, to simulate an intake fan that can be installed on the side of the case. (I'm getting a 120mm intake fan Monday, aswell as a 2nd small intake for the front).

So anyone have any suggestions to keeping the CPU cooler? I just don't like seeing these temps, until someone tells me (If they are) that these are normal temps. If they arn't, what can I do?

Thanks---
Brad

Last edited:
I am running a p4 w/ht at 3.53ghz and my temp are at 38.0 at full I would say fan cooling is not your problem.. The heatsink is not seat good and for retention check ebay and they are universal ones.. What thermal compound are you using??? Pics would also help man!!!!

I'll get some pics up ASAP. I'll look on E-Bay for some universal ones aswell.

Here are some pics of the rig...

Attachments

• DSC01596.JPG
    DSC01596.JPG
    105.1 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC01595.JPG
    DSC01595.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC01593.JPG
    DSC01593.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC01591.JPG
    DSC01591.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC01584.JPG
    DSC01584.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 111
man, with that processor and that gfx card you're almost certainly bottlenecking at the processor...

yeah, I know that Mor. I'm upgrading so it wont bottle neck as badly.

Yep. Have been since the day I bought it. Getting the best 478 pin out there. Intel P4 3.2Ghz. Capable of OCing to 3.6. But, I want this cooling issue fixed before I do so XD

Back