• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 multi dropping under load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
I've searched all over the place to find what's causing it, and the only thing I found was my mobo is not locking the 21 multi.

Running 21x200 @ 1.4v, but once I put a load on it (P95) my temps are nominal @ 60c across the board, but my dam multi will drop from 21 to 20.

Yes multi is set manually @ 21 and Turbo is disabled. I also tried Turbo enabled and it doesn't make a difference.

I was thinking of getting a new video card or 2 for some sli/crossfire action, but if my board is acting up I might have to replace it.

Funny I never noticed this before..well I wasn't paying attention up to now. It's quite annoying.

Anybody got any ideas how I can stop it from dropping?

Hey Neb, I have this problem with my P6T board and my Gulftown. They are suppedly working on a new bios that fixes the problem for the P6T (which doesn't help you) but in the meantime, I've heard that Throttlestop can also limit throttling. It's written by unclewebb, the person that gave us Real Temp. Give it a whirl and see if you can control the multi dropping. For me, it didn't totally stop it, but did cut it significantly. And I don't have the issue if I overclock by bclk and keep the multi at default, which is how I am presently overclocking for my heatsink testing.

EDIT: Heh, beat ya to it, dejo! :snipe:

not matter Mudd, at least he gets it to try out.

Sweet! I have the latest bios so that's not fixing anything :rolleyes: but, ThrottleStop looks promising. Good looking out guyz! :thup:

*Update*

Well ThrottleStop doesn't work for me :rolleyes: I got it all setup and running, opened up CpuZ/RealTemp to keep my eyes on the Multi & temps when I fire up P95, and as my luck would have it dam Multi still drops to 20 :mad:

try to get your voltage down to less than 1.4 and see if that helps

try to get your voltage down to less than 1.4 and see if that helps

Right now it's @ 1.4v idle. Once load is put on it will drop to 1.36-1.34v with LLC enabled. Temps don't pass 60c across the board under p95, but the dam multi keeps dropping. Just did a quick search and the problem lies within this MSI board. Unsure if it's just this brand, but other boards don't have this problem :-/

*Edit*

I give up. Looks like it's a toss between a new mobo for the 21multi lock or keep this pos and go for a new video card or 2.

Tried dropping the multi to 20 and BCLK to 210 and bloo screen. Didn't matter how much voltage I used (PLL, QPI, VCORE,DRAM) :mad:

Last edited:
did you try to raise the pci e freq? that may help get you to the 210 bclk

Yup, tried that. Booted, got to desktop, 5min later hard lock :-/ Meh no worries. Guess I'll just run it as is.

How much PCIe did you give it? 110 should be ok for sata drives and such.

Back