• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Starter Cannot find drives during install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marshmallow64

So yesterday I decided to upgrade my netbook harddrive to a SSD. After finishing everything looked smooth, the drive was in bios etc.

I created a usb boot disk for Win 7 starter, however, during win 7 install I get a message saying it can not find any devices such as cd roms etc and I am given that drivers portion where I can install drivers for devices.

Originally my netbook had Win 7 in the original harddrive where all I had to do was hit F9 on boot and it would install win 7, but because I swapped out the harddrive it no longer has this option.

Do I simply just need an external DVD drive?

How big is the SSD? I believe Win7 Starter is limited to 64GB on a SSD or 250GB on a normal hard drive.

Yea the bios sees it. It is also set on AHCI not IDE. I tried installing the sata drivers for ahci during the win install and still no luck.

Well luckily I got a external dvd drive at work for free, im crossing my fingers that it will work. I also noticed some people on the OCZ forums saying its a firmware issue.

I believe, unless your usb flash is set as the first boot device & the ssd as the second it will not work. Ahci has nothing to do with anything until after it's installed & working. I was thinking that cloning would do the trick as well but not sure as I don't have an ssd.
Good luck with your 'new' netbook.

Thanks, but i also tried that, I made the hard drive priorities different and tried all ways. One thing that was weird was that I could not set both of them in the boot priorities. It was either one or the other depending on what hard drive priorities I made them, if this make sense.

Like only one hard drive option will show up in the boot priorities.

Looks like it has the same problem as XP, likely because of the hardware being newer than Windows 7.

Back