• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking i5-760 using MSI p55 gd80 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LetterKilled

Registered
hello.
so i found this site a few weeks ago and its helped out tremendously. i have been trying to research everything i can on overclocking. and i came across an older post that had alot of info about overclocking the i5's. the one trouble i had with it was he was using a different MOBO then i was. and when i went into the bios just to look around and plan it all out i found out that my bios was a lil different. im running the the i5-760 on a MSI p55 gd80 mobo. now its been a while since i looked this stuff up and i could have sworn that if you OC your cpu, you had to OC your RAM as well. if so then the type of ram i have is cosair xms3 ddr3 4gb 1600MHz.

im not looking for a crazy overclock. just around 3.6GHz to 3.8GHz. i know this is pretty noob of me, but id rather learn how to do it through bios instead of the lame OC genie button that comes with the motherboard. any information would be awesome. im not asking you to hold my hand. but....ok well yes. im asking to you hold my hand and help me what to do. thanks for you time and i hope to hear from you guys soon

RAM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...5263&cm_re=cosair_xms3-_-20-145-263-_-Product

MOBO
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&AID=10446076&PID=3754110&SID=skim1132X509988

LK

http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

:welcome: to the forums.

i have same cpu. my sig has details. let me know if you need any advice or help.

i too have the same setup, except i have the Asus P55 pro version. i would like to achive at least a 3.8ghz OC on my I5-760.
id like to use your BIO's values in my system, could you post the timing changes with each part. lol forgive me dont know all the terminology yet. but example Bclk from 133 to 200.. ect :fight:

okay i have a similar build to raypundo.

my specs are in my sig, but i have my i5 760 running at 3.4 (162 bclk x 21.0multi).
volts are @1.10 fixed. idle temps are around 45 (stock cooling) highs with prime95 is 77.

you said this in another post somewhere. what does it mean by fixed. is that just the Vcore? or is that too also the DRAM?

hello.
LK

I know you said you wanted to learn proper overclocking, but I have a suggestion.

The OC Genie generally gives you a pretty decent overclock ,you would probably land on 3.4-3.6 ghz which is your target speed. The problem with OC Genie from what i've seen is that it adds to much voltage, so why not activate OC Genie, write down all the settings it uses, shut it off and manually enter every setting in the bios.

From there, see how much you can lower the voltage and still keep it stable.

If you do this you'll get your target speed, better temps than OC genie and you'll save yourself a lot of time ;)

Back