• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cannot load specific web pages

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sakmmeeks

Registered
I've seen this before, but not like this. I cannot connect to any protected websites really. Like my online banking, school, etc. I get a timed out response..or sometimes it does work after waiting a very long time. I've been using all these sites in question on at least 2 of the 4 puters in my home and they all worked w/out issues until a couple weeks ago.

I have no idea how this happened, I did a windows update, restarted my machine and I couldn't log into my school account..over time I realize my online banking, paypal, etc anything https is hanging or working very slow if at all. So I do a system restore, no dice. I check the 3 other machines in the house, 2 Vista laptops, and a mac. Still not able to load these pages. Meanwhile, I can go to any other website and it works fine..youtube, facebook, online games over steam, and downloading seems to be working fine as well.

As a quick side note the windows update involved the date/time issue and I wonder if it is buggy?!? KB2158563 is the update #, and I've seen date/time issues throw off secure website access, but my date/time are correct and it is happening to all puters on the network..this is the only PC with that update.

I've gone to a neighbors house and connected to all the sites in question w/out issues and we both use the same ISP company.

I've done everything I can think of. Factory reset my router, system restore, used 3 other machines with diff OS's, flushed my dns, I've even done a direct connection to the cable modem from my laptop. It allows me to connect a little more frequently, but still do get time out errors only on these types of sites and they hang every time while logging in and accessing any information if I do happen to get in.

I don't get how I can have full speed everywhere but these particular websites. Sounded like a DNS issue on my ISP side, I call them..they say everything is working fine?? Time Warner Cable I live in Maui. I'm on my way to replace my cable modem as I have no idea what else to do?!

If anyone can help me out here, thanks.

MainPC: Custom Build i7-920 mild oc @ 3.2ghz (Win7 64)
Laptops: Asus g50v-a2 (Vista 64), Crappy HP (Vista 32), Macbook pro using OSX. All have latest updates and are working fine.

I had the same problem for the last couple of weeks! Whenever I would go to Newegg and try to login I would get a dreary hang that would last 5-10 minutes. I was to the point that I would login and walk away from my pooter. It's fixed now. Guess how I fixed?

I JUST GOT MY NEW COMPUTER IN! I know it's probably not much help to you to tell you this, but it does put some info out there.

If it's happening on all of the computers on your network, but not on your neighbors then consider the constants (your modem and router). Try this: enable wireless on your router. Go to your neighbors house and verify that there's no problem on his connection. Then, while at his house, connect to your internet and do the same. If the problem still exists it's most likely your modem or router. Have your neighbor connect to your internet and see if he has the same issue. If he doesn't then it's something that has inevitably infected all of the computers on your network. If he does then your modem/router is suspect.

If the problem is narrowed to your network instead of your modem/router I would reset your router via the 'reset' button on the back. look up your router's model number on Google for the official instructions. Reconfigure it and try your connection then, with only one computer actively on the network (turn all of your others off, or disconnect them from your network). If the problem persists, pick a computer and reformat it. DELETE EVERYTHING and get a fresh install on there and try it with the router freshly reset as well. If the problem persists after that - your ISP is lying to you, or something is wrong with your modem/something is targeting your network and sucking the resources out if it.

Try some of these and let me know how it helps! Sorry that I cannot give you a more precise answer, but this is what I would do in this situation. Good luck!

Kisses,
Brian

Bad Modem! I feel like this is strange, because I was still able to connect to most websites.

Regardless, I'm connected now w/no hiccups whatsoever.

@ DreamerBrian, Thanks for the tips..I tried most everything you mentioned already, but no way I was gonna reformat..it's just not possible all these diff machines got effected like this...unless mebe a virus, but no viruses. I thought my ISP was lying to me lol. Was so pissed cus during all this I get a call from my credit card and some 40 yr old virgin used my cc to buy 450 bucks of WoW time before they froze my card. I was like wtf and somehow ripped the 'o' key off my laptop lol. I don't even play WoW and now I hate it even more.

My main PC I built last year in august..still runnin like a champ ;)
Thermaltake Spedo Adv
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Intel i7-920 with a very mild OC (it's hot where I live lol)
MSI Nvidia GTX 295 SLI
6gb Corsair Dominator Triple Channel
Corsair 1200 Watt PSU

Great! Have fun modem shopping! May I recommend anything with Linksys or Cisco on it. Netgear and D-Link are good choices as well.

Kisses,
Brian

Back