• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can intel atom play flash well

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very well, there are no problems with flash support at least in my experience. On my N450 based netbook I can play HL1 and CS 1.6 at very good framerates, flash is not to much of a task for the atom based netbooks.

Depends, my n270 doesn't like HD youtube much.
Normal flash stuff is totally fine though.

Well i'm asking for a friend who bought a MSI Atom net book in 2008

When it is used on Hulu there is so much lag it cant even scroll without it over scrolling or stuttering, also the video goes out at the same time. It's done all this new out of the box he says.

So he says Hulu is to horrible to try and watch.:eh?:

Has anyone tried this.

In November, MSI released BIOS version 1.09 for the Wind U100. Besides some minor updates, the BIOS also added push-button automated overclocking. By pressing Fn+F10, you can engage automated processor overclocking that will bring the 1.6GHz Atom processor up by up to 24%. The CPU overclock can be set to 8%, 16% or 24%, for a maximum overclock of 2GHz. Best yet, this feature is fully supported and covered by the warranty.

LINK :http://hothardware.com/Reviews/MSI-Wind-U100-Netbook/?page=5

No, my asus 1000HE and even the 1201N stuttered on flash sites since it is all single threaded.

Thanks that's intrusting, it's starting to sound like the Atom does not have enough power for flash because my friends old DELL single threaded P4 2.6Ghz will play HULU fine and multitask.

It's kind of bad for me because i suggested to buy the MSI with the Atom for sulfuring the net, he wanted to do allot of flash things.

So it really sucks when i researched the Atom all the reviews were good back when the Atom came out, they said it was great for web use, who can you trust these days it really sucks.

The problem was, I never though intel would make a modern CPU that would buckle with just web usage.

Last edited:
faster core will help but the biggest thing is to get a dual core atom box not single+ht. as i never did have any problem with my atom 330 using onboard video with 2gig of ram. only time i had issues was with video playback using 720P+, 480P is fine. either that or you need to get a ION+atom setup where flash is handed over to the GPU.

the aus 1201n is a dual core atom and it had issues with youtube when i owned it, since glash and browsers are all single core coded.

it had ION and it could do 720P and even 1080P using CoreAVC as the codec but stock had no chance in hell.

Just my .02 cents here, but...if my Droid X "PDA" phone, running on a battery, can run flash decently...then any desktop/laptop processor should be able to do the same.

Again, IMHO...YMMV. :D

Just my .02 cents here, but...if my Droid X "PDA" phone, running on a battery, can run flash decently...then any desktop/laptop processor should be able to do the same.

Again, IMHO...YMMV. :D

Your opinion brings up a valid point. The ATOM is perfectly capable of many things but on the PC end a lot of programmers have gotten lazy. Just flash is one thing but when you add in the flash software it is another and usually the smaller flash devices have a hardware player separate from the CPU.

My netbook does OK in the flash area with the N270 at native resolutions but when I output to the TV via the 15 pin D-Sub and crank up the resolution things change.

Here is the kicker, with an external 99 dollar box I can play and encode media to DivX on the fly. DVD playback, XviD and DixX playback are flawless with just the netbook.

I really think that flash player is the issue not the ATOM.

You can say that again. OT, but with all of the exploits and such, I'm ready for a new 'standard' to be adopted.

I think it just needs to be redone, back in the day flash was so smooth and sexy now its everywhere, bloated, and broken :(

/end thread jack

The Atom does appear better than other 'dumb terminal' type systems but it can still have issues. There was a review for one such terminal in the recent Maximum PC iirc that said they did great for web browsing and minor tasks but some (especially the AMD based one they were focusing on) had issues on flash playback, especially if it was some HD content on youtube.

???? Honestly it sounds like marketing to me. Why slow the inexpensive power saving netbook play the flash? It hurts the sales of higher end processors and keeps the profits down in the energy industry.

To answer the question though the ATOM does better with netflix which I believe is powered by MS silverlight and 320 windowed flash.

???? Honestly it sounds like marketing to me. Why slow the inexpensive power saving netbook play the flash? It hurts the sales of higher end processors and keeps the profits down in the energy industry.

To answer the question though the ATOM does better with netflix which I believe is powered by MS silverlight and 320 windowed flash.

which are you referring to in regards to marketing? Also the atom is an extremely cheap chip.

That is too far off topic but it also speculative on my part:)

As far as the atom goes it is a great CPU. I would guess that it has one of the highest PPW numbers out there. I really believe the issue is with the flash player.

Back