• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED unable to get to windows update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyussinchains

so I think my computer is infected/damaged.....

I am unable to access the windows update website, Internet explorer, firefox and chrome all give a 'connection error' when trying to access it, and whenever I try the url on 'downforeveryoneorjustme.com' it gives the same error, as well as when I try to use a web proxy....

I run avast antivirus and spybot S&D, I keep them updated regularly and run a check once a week, apart from the occasional bit of adware, the scans usually come back clean.

I googled the problem and was led to using the scanner at onecarelive.com, this picks up around 45 bits of nasty software, yet says it's unable to remove them....

I have scanned with Malwarebytes anti malware, AVG 9.0, windows defender, microsoft malicious software tool and the above things, none of which have picked anything up....

can anyone suggest anything?

edit: Oh yes, I'm running XP pro w/SP3

Last edited:
bring up the command prompt (as administrator if in Vista or 7) and type in the following command and see if it helps

(type without the quote marks)

"ipconfig /flushdns"

then type in

"netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt"

what you have done with those 2 commands is cleared your DNS logs on your pc so that it will have to rebuild them. This fixes probably 85-90% of DNS issues.

The other setting resets all your ip settings/proxy settings, etc back to defaults just in case something/someone accidently changed them.

Backup and reinstall then make yourself an image to restore from next time

really? there's nothing else I can try to avoid the ballache of reinstalling windows.....?

Hijackthis maybe have you run these scans in safe mode? What have you changed recently? Try updating your network drivers. Put in your windows cd/dvd and run sfc /scannow

NIC is active in device manager

I ran these scans in safe mode, and I have changed very little in the past month or so (my wife flagged up that windows updates haven't been working for a while now)

I ran Hijack this, the logfile doesn't mean much to me.... I've attached it if you have time to read through it....

Attachments

• hijackthislog.txt
    8.5 KB · Views: 51
Im not great at reading these but this entry raised an eyebrow...got an app that does that? If so, disregard, if not, that entry and anything else with file missing should go.

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0}

uninstalled AVG, downloaded Avira (but not installed yet) and fixed that BHO line..... still no joy with windows updates.....

After scroogling a minute I came up with either the MS fixit which essentially resets IE with the option of reinstalling it OR your av has modified the hosts file in which case it needs a reset, another ms fixit.
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-401569.html
Let us know if you fix it.
I had that problem once. Can't remember how I resolved it though.

Back