• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think about my i7-950 4.3GHz settings ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Davv75

Right now with the settings below I have a stable 4.3GHz OC.

My system specs
i7-950 @ 4.3GHz
P6X58D-E
CORSAIR XMS3 (3x2GB) DDR3-1600
MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC
CPU cooling
Noctua NH-U12P

I finally found a min vcore to get a stable OC. That is the point of testing is to find the min vcore setting and be stable correct ?

Now I know my QPI/DRAM is too high. Should I start testing the QPI/DRAM setting and if the stress test passes lower it a little bit and test again ? Is this how I should test for correct QPI/DRAM setting until I get errors or a BSOD ? This could take a while.

I'm thinking of just setting it at 1.35000, test it if it passes and calling it a day.

It seems like from looking at other peoples settings there QPI/DRAM setting alway seem to be a little lower than the vcore. For example vcore set at 1.3 their QPI would be 1.27 it always seems like 2 or 3 notches below the vcore.

I'm just not sure where my QPI/DRAM should be sitting.

Ai Overclock Tuner.....................[Manual]
CPU Ratio Setting......................[23.0]
Intel(r) SpeedStep(tm) Tech............[Disabled]
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode...........[Enabled]
BCLK Frequency.........................[187]
PCIE Frequency.........................[100]
DRAM Frequency.........................[DDR3-1499MHz]
UCLK Frequency.........................[2999MHz]
QPI Link Data Rate.....................[Auto]

CPU Voltage Control....................[Manual]
CPU Voltage............................[1.41250](Red)
CPU PLL Voltage........................[1.88]
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage..................[1.40000](Pink)
IOH Voltage............................[1.14]
IOH PCIE Voltage.......................[1.50]
ICH Voltage............................[1.20]
ICH PCIE Voltage.......................[1.50]
DRAM Bus Voltage.......................[1.65]

By the way what do guys think about my settings overall ?

The bclk isnt very high the QPI voltage seems very high for that, it could probobly managed it at 1.2v

Welcome to OC Forums...

Do you really need to run @ 4.3? If you ran 21x200 for 4.2 you could keep the same uncore multi (16) and same ram multi (8) and your ram would be running at its rated 1600MHz. By lowering your overclock you could run with lower vcore/temps. QPI/DRAM (Vtt) with your current uncore, memory, bclk could possibly be set to 1.3v or less.

Have you read this guide?

http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

In my case there is no way to run stable ~200bclk on this board under 1.325V QPI/VTT. I don't know if it's only my board but I think that no. The same to run 200 bclk with memory ~2000 have to set about 1.55V that is much lower on many other boards for the same clocks. I can run almost all on auto @200bclk except QPI and memory voltages.

@Davv75
try something like this for 4.2GHz and if you make it stable then try with 205 bclk for 4.3GHz and your cpu voltage
Ai Overclock Tuner.....................[Manual]
CPU Ratio Setting......................[21.0]
Intel(r) SpeedStep(tm) Tech............[Enabled] - at least I can't see any difference in stability except lower temps
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode...........[Enabled]
BCLK Frequency.........................[200] 205 for 4.3GHz
PCIE Frequency.........................[105] I'm running up to 115 24/7 but all depends if your other devices can handle higher pcie ( for example older raptors won't boot above ~106 and some ssd run up to 118 )
DRAM Frequency.........................[DDR3-1600MHz]
UCLK Frequency.........................[3200MHz] often gives better results than higher memory clock or timings so can try set higher multi but hard to see it in 24/7 use
QPI Link Data Rate.....................[Auto]

CPU Voltage Control....................[Manual]
CPU Voltage............................[1.37500] 1.4125 for 4.3 as you checked but depends from settings ( or jumper on board ) vdrop is different
CPU PLL Voltage........................[1.80] I see that all recommend ~1.90 but I see no difference on 2 cpu and different settings from 1.8-2.0V pll
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage..................[1.35000]
IOH Voltage............................[auto] try up to 1.18V for 200-205bclk if you see some stability issues
IOH PCIE Voltage.......................[auto]
ICH Voltage............................[auto]
ICH PCIE Voltage.......................[auto]
DRAM Bus Voltage.......................[1.65] here depends from memory, my kit is running at 1.58V 1600-2050

Back