• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this HDD good

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
this is the HDD i picked out of my computer price isnt a issue
im wondering if this is a good HDD and can this be Set to go faster such as RAID0 so i heard? i have no idea how but i will look up on it more ofc

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136533

The Black line from WD are some of their best. I'm running a 500gb one. It can be set up in RAID 0, the only HDs that have issues with RAID 0 are the WD Greens (they like to take naps when saving energy, bad for RAID). The only faster drives are 15k, Raptors...etc. They cost a good deal more though.

For what it's worth...RAID 0 is nice, but it's not earth shattering performance boost. Many barely notice. If you got the cash a small SSD is very quick.

To sum up, thats a great drive and will work fine as a standalone or in a RAID 0 setup (you need two identical ones for RAID 0 by the way).

The Black line from WD are some of their best. I'm running a 500gb one. It can be set up in RAID 0, the only HDs that have issues with RAID 0 are the WD Greens (they like to take naps when saving energy, bad for RAID). The only faster drives are 15k, Raptors...etc. They cost a good deal more though.

For what it's worth...RAID 0 is nice, but it's not earth shattering performance boost. Many barely notice. If you got the cash a small SSD is very quick.

To sum up, thats a great drive and will work fine as a standalone or in a RAID 0 setup (you need two identical ones for RAID 0 by the way).

:O had no idea
What would 2 very nice HDDs be for the price of 100-130$
dont need to be 1TB's
could be 500gbs

also how exactly do you set up raid 0 do i have to buy anything to attach to the hdds?

Last edited:
:O had no idea
What would 2 very nice HDDs be for the price of 100-130$
dont need to be 1TB's
could be 500gbs

also how exactly do you set up raid 0 do i have to buy anything to attach to the hdds?

RAID 0 is where you have two hard drives set up like they are one. This is done during the Windows installation and depends on the motherboard exactly how it's set up. What essentially happens is 1/2 the data is written to each drive...since each drive is only responsible for writing/reading 1/2 the data it is faster. The downside...if one drive dies, you lose all the data.

If you ask me personally, it's a lot of work and worry for very little performance gain. But, if you decide to do it, get 2 identical drives...say two 500gb ones. The total volume of the drives you RAID will be double. So, two 500gb in RAID 0 will give you a full 1tb of storage...but remember the risks associated. I used to run raid all the time...it is faster than a single drive, but any SSD will be way faster.

If I was giving you advice (again, this is my opinion) I would scratch the RAID for now. Get you a nice single drive and be happy...save some cash and get an SSD down the road. :D

Remember, HD speed will make almost no difference in anything you do. Games play the same, music plays the same...only thing cool about SSDs or RAID is that Windows loads faster and games load faster....they don't play any faster...just load faster.

RAID 0 is where you have two hard drives set up like they are one. This is done during the Windows installation and depends on the motherboard exactly how it's set up. What essentially happens is 1/2 the data is written to each drive...since each drive is only responsible for writing/reading 1/2 the data it is faster. The downside...if one drive dies, you lose all the data.

If you ask me personally, it's a lot of work and worry for very little performance gain. But, if you decide to do it, get 2 identical drives...say two 500gb ones. The total volume of the drives you RAID will be double. So, two 500gb in RAID 0 will give you a full 1tb of storage...but remember the risks associated. I used to run raid all the time...it is faster than a single drive, but any SSD will be way faster.

If I was giving you advice (again, this is my opinion) I would scratch the RAID for now. Get you a nice single drive and be happy...save some cash and get an SSD down the road. :D

Remember, HD speed will make almost no difference in anything you do. Games play the same, music plays the same...only thing cool about SSDs or RAID is that Windows loads faster and games load faster....they don't play any faster...just load faster.

i read this in a articular and my pc is a gaming // high end pc so reading this made me think i should go with RAID 0 but who knows this could be not true what is said for example "performance boost for games, graphics applications, and other hard-disk-intensive programs." it said that so first time popped in my head was HELL YA

in the future i will most defiantly buy a SSD this is taking a good chunk of cash out my bank account so ill wait a couple months b4 the SSD if i feel i want it but for now im aiming towards RAID 0 with some 500-640 gb drives but if a single drive will perform pretty well just as fast and that RAID 0 Quote i took from that site is false then ill go with a single driver

but if not could you link me a driver that could be set as raid 0

RAID 0: This setup increases hard-drive performance by spreading, or striping, data over two drives so that it can be read and written more quickly. Unfortunately, such an array provides no data protection--in fact, it actually increases the chances of data loss since the failure of any one drive in the array results in the loss of all data stored on both drives. RAID 0 setups are standard on high-end gaming and graphics PCs, and provide a measurable albeit modest performance boost for games, graphics applications, and other hard-disk-intensive programs.

i read this in a articular and my pc is a gaming // high end pc so reading this made me think i should go with RAID 0 but who knows this could be not true what is said for example "performance boost for games, graphics applications, and other hard-disk-intensive programs." it said that so first time popped in my head was HELL YA

Very few games are HD intensive. What are you using this for? Games?

As far as good drives that will do RAID 0...all of them will do it, but stay away from the WD Green ones. For instance and pair of WD Black/Blue Drives (just like the one you looked at) are good candidates for RAID 0.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136161

Pair of these would do great.

I think the 640gb blacks are just a couple bucks extra, more storage, and i'm pretty sure the 640's > 500's speed wise. Something about the 640's having denser platters?

And I agree with xoke, I don't think RAID0 will make any major differences, specially with gaming. If you want eye popping speed, SSD all the way. Just depends on what you want/need.

I think the 640gb blacks are just a couple bucks extra, more storage, and i'm pretty sure the 640's > 500's speed wise. Something about the 640's having denser platters?

And I agree with xoke, I don't think RAID0 will make any major differences, specially with gaming. If you want eye popping speed, SSD all the way. Just depends on what you want/need.

what ever is the best is what i am going to go with so if the 640 drivers are faster then 500s ill use the 640s in raid0 but if raid0 dont effect my gaming then i wont bother with 2 drivers ill just get a single one

Very few games are HD intensive. What are you using this for? Games?

As far as good drives that will do RAID 0...all of them will do it, but stay away from the WD Green ones. For instance and pair of WD Black/Blue Drives (just like the one you looked at) are good candidates for RAID 0.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136161

Pair of these would do great.

Yes this computer is mostly for gaming
and isnt the more cache the better?
but if this RAID0 wont effect my gaming then really what is the point of it right.

And for the SSD that will be a for sure thing in the future

Back