• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD CPU cooling help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CanUK

Registered
I have just finished my first ever computer build and found out after use Prime95 that my aftermarket cooler is no good for overclocking. I need help find a good cooler to allow me to overclock, and just keep my cpu cool.

Case: Antec 900 Link: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/118268
MB: GA-890FXA-UD5
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz
RAM: G-Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 Ripjaw Memory Kit CL7(7-8-7-24) 1.65V, link: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/180490
CPU Cooler: Scythe Shuriken Quiet Low Profile Socket Link: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148079

My main problem is with this MB that it overlaps with the ram slots. The memory I currently have has large HS on them. I am looking into solutions here for future overclocking. My goal is 4.0GHz.

I have two possible solutions. Get an Noctua NH-D14, buy more memory to fill all slots (remove or cut the HS off). Here is a picture of a set up: http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php/topic,2473.0.html Just scroll down.

Second option is maybe a Corsair H70, but I just can not seem to figure out where I would mount my radiator on the Antec 900 case. This option saves me cutting/removing the HS from the memory, but there is the possiblity of modifing the case.

Do you guys have any other ideas to make this work? As you can tell, price is not too much of an issue, but I do not want to spend more than the H70 set up if I do not have too.

Thanks, and yes I am in the UK.

Last edited:
Get the Noctua NH-D14. Those RAM heatsinks are good to clear. I have much taller heatsinks on my RAM and it fits fine so you will be okay. The H70 would go on the rear exhaust part of your case.
Here the problems with the H70, it's very loud and doesn't cool as good as the Noctua NH-D14 and costs more. The Noctua is almost silent and cools amazingly well. For my Core i7, it never goes above 70c.

P.S.- Don't not ever cut the Heat Sink ;)

If you haven't tried this already, move the ram to the two slots furthest away from the CPU.

I would have no choice but to remove the ram HS, there is just no room. I can show you a picture with another guy who has the same MB to give you an idea. He just did this yesterday.

img0378vl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So this is looking like my option, although how do you guys feel about removing the fins off my ram?

Edit: Looks like by the measurements given to me no cutting will be needed. Worst comes to worst, I will just offset the fan a bit.

Last edited:
The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is an excellent cooler, it's also quite cheap. Even better if you replace the 12CM fan it comes with to something higher performance, a Noctua fan for example.

Also, if you're looking at the Corsair kits you'll find that the H70 really isn't worth it versus the H50. I've got my H50 on the back set up as an intake on my case. Heat goes straight out the top air vents. Might be worthwhile looking at as the Antec 900 has that big 200mm fan on top. This solution works pretty well for me as the CPU always gets fresh air, see the below picture.

120mm front and rear intake fans, 140mm top exit fans.

Last edited:
I just confirmed all my measurements. The ram in the picture is 43mm tall, mine with HS on is 40mm. I should not have to cut anything, worst case is offset the fan a tiny bit.

Now, if I just stayed at 4 GB of ram, there should be no problems using the first two slots, BUT I do not want to pull this apart again in 6 months so I will just buy the extra ram now and fit it in. Either way, I will be ordering a new cooler today!

Thanks.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus is an excellent cooler, it's also quite cheap. Even better if you replace the 12CM fan it comes with to something higher performance, a Noctua fan for example.

Also, if you're looking at the Corsair kits you'll find that the H70 really isn't worth it versus the H50. I've got my H50 on the back set up as an intake on my case. Heat goes straight out the top air vents. Might be worthwhile looking at as the Antec 900 has that big 200mm fan on top. This solution works pretty well for me as the CPU always gets fresh air, see the below picture.

120mm front and rear intake fans, 140mm top exit fans.

I actually may have to go this route, as room in my case may be an issue. Just measured to see if the D14 would fit, and it is very tight, my side fan would have to be moved and I am still not sure if it would all fit.

I have a couple questions for you. Have you OC'd your cpu at all? If so what kind of temps where you getting with Prime95? If I was not planning to OC my cpu then I would not bother with a new cooler, but I am.

Also, is there room for a second fan on the radiator? I may want to do a push/pull config later on, or maybe try to use my current fan on the back.

Thanks.

I'd go with the Hyper 212 Plus over the Noctua. Smaller, significantly cheaper and very close in performance.

I don't bother overclocking at present as I find things more than fast enough for my needs at stock. Don't bother with benchies either. I generally find the difference between idle and load temps is around 6-8C. When not gaming it stays at room temps.

Most of the time I keep all fans turned off with the exception of the fan on the radiator for silent operation, turn them back on again when gaming. As I understand it the Noctua does actually perform better however I find the H50 to be much more convenient when working on my computer. Easier to get to RAM etc etc.

To me I think your choice should be between the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus and the Corsair H50. Don't bother with the H70. The fans the Corsairs come with are rubbish anyway so you need to factor in the cost of a decent fan such as a 12cm Noctua P-Fan anyway.

I would have no choice but to remove the ram HS, there is just no room. I can show you a picture with another guy who has the same MB to give you an idea. He just did this yesterday.

img0378vl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

So this is looking like my option, although how do you guys feel about removing the fins off my ram?

Edit: Looks like by the measurements given to me no cutting will be needed. Worst comes to worst, I will just offset the fan a bit.

this guy has his fans configured wrong.

the fan resting on the ram is supposed to (or rather, from the factory) seated lower and in the slot where the other fan is. The one that's in the middle is supposed to be above the ram. Here's some reading for you on the d14.

http://noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=34&lng=en#13
http://noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_gen&products_id=34&lng=en
http://noctua.at/main.php?show=compatibility_ram_gen&products_id=34&lng=en

that should answer any compatability questions.

Back