• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Deadspace FOV

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheGreySpectre

I picked up dead space on steam for the halloween sale as I heard it is pretty good but I have been having some trouble with it.

Let me start off by saying that I know the controls are supposed to be a little clunky since your a miner not a marine and that is not what I am having trouble with.

Is there any way to change the FOV though. The FOV is tiny, I feel like I'm walking around with binoculars on and it's making me nauseas.

2560x1600

I feel like it is geared for sitting another 5 feet away from my monitor.

After searching the internet apparently other people had the same problem. I don't think you can change it, but I never had a problem with the small fov. I wouldn't say it is supposed to make you sick, but I think it adds to the atmosphere where you have limited knowledge of your surroundings. If you are sick now you might not make it through the zero g parts.

+1 for what Hardin said.. Its supposed to be somewhat enclosed so you have to look all around constantly.. Its to help the bad guys get the jump on you (and they will sometimes)! I am awaiting DeadSpace 2 :)

I got mine for 360 when it came out. Definatly a good game, though the FOV is that way for a purpose at least in this game. Sure it would be better to have a larger one but I think you'd loose out on the feel, and creepyness of it.

And the Zero-G parts.... yeah FOV increase would be GREAT for that! Ah can't wait for DS2 also, think I got to go back and finish my second play through of it before its released.

I have never been able to get into the atmosphere of horror games. I know I am the main character so I have to make it through the whole game. (not trying to say I'm immune to the horror genre, I get the crap scared out of me by movies, just not video games. So it just makes it feel like a standard fps with sub par controls that makes me sick. If they wanted to limit the view they should have put things on the side of the screen like helmet graphic or something instead of trying to stretch out a tiny FOV over a huge space which just makes me sick.

edit:

I wonder if the problems I have are partly due to the size of the screen I use compared to how close I sit to it.
Elaboration:
I sit about 18" away form a 30" screen so it fills my entire view. For television the recommended viewing distance is between 1.5 and 3 times the screen size so by that account I should be sitting 45" - 75" away from the screen if this was a TV and I was watching a movie. People tend to sit closer to their monitors then thier television, from my experience the average person tends to sit between .9-1.5 times the diagonal distance of the monitor (relatively much farther away I sit). At a distance of about 35" from my monitor the FOV no longer makes me feel sick and at a distance of 55" the FOV actually feels about right for being restricting and claustrophobic in a horror type of way without being sickening. That 55" distance is 1.83 times the diagonal width of my monitor, and is hence right in that optimum range for a TV, hence the optimum range for what a console player would view the game at.

The problem is I can't very well sit 40 or 55 inches away from my monitor because my keyboard and mouse don't reach that far. I just wish I could change the view so that I could have the same experience everyone else has.

Last edited:
I'm also susceptible to motion sickness if the FOV isn't "right". Usually I find it gets worse with a wider FOV. I'm surprised I'm so affected by Dead Space (got only 10 minutes in and had to stop) since everyone says it has a low FOV. This doesn't happen to me on the console version, so I wonder if it has something to do with distance to the screen like you said.

I also think it is exacerbated by the mouse lag. I turned off vsync in the game and turned it on in my GPU's control panel and the mouse is way more responsive now. It still feels floaty but I'm hoping that'll have an impact. Give it a shot.

As previously stated, I disabled vsync in the game and forced it on in my GPU's control panel. I also noticed I was getting weird shimmering around the edges of objects. I tried every one of my GPU's (ATI Radeon 5800 HD) settings for Anti Aliasing but it was always there. I changed it to be "Application Controlled" and turned AA on in the game instead. The shimmering went away and this also made the mouse more responsive.

There's almost no detectable mouse lag now and I've found this to have GREATLY decreased my motion sickness while playing. I imagine this is the same reason why a person who normally gets motion sickness as a passenger in a car doesn't get it when they are driving...

Back