• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Another computer on this network has the same IP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is a good chance that is what happened. To get around DHCP reservation, some people will just static to 192.168.1.101 and try to get in. If you are getting 1.101 from DHCP, there is your conflict. Use WPA2 encryption, MAC filtering, and change your network and subnet mask. Go with something like a 192.168.37.128 network with a 28 bit. It throws them off a little.

Good call, Headstand. Changing factory defaults is always inline with networking best practices. It would behoove of you to heed Headstand's advice if you believe that your personal home network may be the target of someone else's bad intentions.

Brian

Also dont broadcast your SSID and change default username and password. Use a strong password with upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. Something like this: P@$$w0rd

Layers of security is the key.

Also dont broadcast your SSID and change default username and password. Use a strong password with upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters. Something like this: P@$$w0rd

Layers of security is the key.

Good info. I can't believe I forgot to say turn off SSID broadcast. Every network I set up, I have to do that. Boss would be mad if he knew I forgot that.

Also, on the password part, what badboyeee said is 100% correct, but don't use that actual password. That is around #3 on our security team's list of passwords they use when trying to crack into people's accounts. :)

That's probably exactly what happened if you don't have the network secured properly.

With that, it might just be a DHCP fluke. I've had the DHCP server in my router try to assign the same IP to my computer and my brother Xbox before.

Yes it could also be a DHCP fluke. So set IP address manually, or do an ipconfig /renew , or right click on the bottom right corner where the network connection icon is and do a "repair", or reset the whole router/switch. Those are easy tricks that may work.

Also, on the password part, what badboyeee said is 100% correct, but don't use that actual password. That is around #3 on our security team's list of passwords they use when trying to crack into people's accounts. :)

Haha yeah, its like the #1 example, didn't mean for the OP to actually use it :D

Windows XP loves to tell me that the IP address is in use, in the event log, even when only one PC is online!

It's looking like the only way to get Windows XP to shut up, is to unplug the cat from PCs that are turned off!

Back